1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant download pictures from emails or web

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BamBam123, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BamBam123

BamBam123 Thread Starter

i have windows xp, aol 9.0vr, IE7.0 and Norton antivirus.

everytime i try to download a picture from aol email, the computer freezes and i am unable to download jpeg, or pps or anything. i cant upload pics to place in ads on craigslist. i went to office depot, paid over $170 dollars and was told to remove norton and put mcaffee, i agreed. that didnt solve the problem. i ve done everything i can think of and need help now. ive deleted browsing history, reset internet settings to factory, reset ie settings, deleted cookies, cache, etc. rebooted, and no relief.

initially the download manager would download a few pics sporadically, and it had nothing to do with picture size, but now it has completely stopped doing so even after clearing browsing history.

i really dont want to put mcaffee anti virus cuz ive paid for norton already for the year.

any ideas? any suggestions? i feel this is a million dollar question but im sure with your experience, its probably a quick fix that I am not aware of.

thanks again.

2. kniht

kniht

Are you using a third party download manager? If so have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the application?

3. Michael York

Michael York

Hi BamBam,

Mike, from the Norton Support Team here.

Which Norton product and version do you currently have installed? Please let me know. You should be using the latest version, which is the 2011 version. To ensure that you have the latest version installed, please visit the Norton Update Center .

If you are already using the latest version, please manually run LiveUpdate and then complete a Full System Scan to check for infections which may be causing the problem you are having. If no infections are found or if they are remdiated by Norton, the next step is to temporarily disable Norton Auto-Protect to see if it makes a difference. You can temporaily disable this feature by right-clicking on the Norton icon in the Taskbar and choose "Diable Auto-Protect."

Please try this out and let me know the outcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. BamBam123

BamBam123 Thread Starter

thanks. it is the same download manager that came with my toshiba laptop. the laptop is about 3 years old now and is running slow to load programs. i have one gb of ram.

anyway, how would i uninstall the download manager and reinstall it?
    thanks again.

5. BamBam123

BamBam123 Thread Starter

thanks. it is the same download manager that came with my toshiba laptop. the laptop is about 3 years old now and is running slow to load programs. i have one gb of ram.

anyway, how would i uninstall the download manager and reinstall it?
    thanks again.

6. BamBam123

BamBam123 Thread Starter

hi mike
    thanks a bunch for your help. i have norton 360, version 4.0. i ran live update and it says i am using the latest version. i have no viruses.

i tried to update changes to ie7, and i am not able to save the settings on the ie7 update page.

i get this message: http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspxessage

Thanks for choosing Internet Explorer 7
    Welcome Back
    Setup is quick and easy
    Settings saved successfully;
    you're good to go.
    Settings were not able to be saved successfully.
    Internet Explorer
    ®
    is better than ever, which you'll see in just a few quick clicks.

so now i feel everytime i try to download or save something, the computer freezes. this is what happens when i download a picture.

when office depot put mcafee instead of norton, the machine did work.
    if i disable the auto protect, will i be unprotected for virus scans of those pictures i am downloading?
    thanks for all of your help.

7. Michael York

Michael York

Hi BamBam,

Thanks for the response and you re indeed using the latest version of Norton 360. It appears that the problem you are having is related to Internet Explorer itself. I only support Norton products but I am sure that someone on Tech Support Guy can help you in further troubleshooting the issue. I would strongly reccomend that you install an alternate browser to see if you experience the same issue when you visit web pages.

Thanks,
    Mike

8. BamBam123

BamBam123 Thread Starter

hi mike
    thanks again for your help. the problem is occuring when i try to upload pictures from my aol, or my documents. i cant download or upload now. i tried to upload pics to craigslist.com and the computer once again froze. does it make a difference if i go to craigslist via aol or internet explorer?

thanks a bunch

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948822