Can't download windows update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

melonhead

I'm working on a computer (OS is XP) and it will not allow Windows update to proceed. They have not updated for a while and there are 25 critical updates. It downloads the first critical update Downloading Q329048: Security Update (update 1 of 25)... and this comes across the green and the green bar moves to 100% and then it goes no further. I've tried rebooting, etc. However, sometimes it won't even allow me to go to the Windows update page - yet it will go to every other web page that I type in without a problem.

The SP2 has not been installed on this computer.

I have run Adaware, Spybot, CWW Shredder, AVG and housecall on this computer. The HJT appears clean.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

melonhead

Now I can't get on the Windows update site at all. I've tried changing the security settings, made sure that no firewall was working, tried everything I could find doing a google search and also on microsoft website.

I can open up windows update when in safe mode. However, you cannot get updates in safe mode. (at least they won't let me with this computer - I'm assuming it is a safe mode thing)

When you boot up - the normal log in members names does not appear - the locked dialogue box appears - however I can sign in and then it says the computer is unlocked. I saw this on one other computer I was fixing but I was able to get the normal log in when I updated.

I've tried unchecking everything from start up in msconfig - but still no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online