1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't eject external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newmarket2, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newmarket2

Newmarket2 Thread Starter

I'm using an older Maxtor external disk drive.
    All my programs are closed, but when I try to eject the drive, I am told the drive is being used by a program.

Is there a way to see which program(s) have retained their connection
    OR
    To just close any connection that might be open.... I'm not writing or updating to the drive - just cleaning it up and reorganizing it and all of that work was over hours ago.

Thanks!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Windows itself sometimes locks an external drive. I occasionally have to reboot to release a drive. You say "eject" the drive, have you tried the "safely remove" option??

3. Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool

Hello there,

I believe this is just a careless mistake. Could you please see if that the window showing the files in the drive is open ?
    This problem occurs to a lot of people - and me also.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try turning off the computer then removing the drive.

Kind Regards,
    Zero-Cool

4. Newmarket2

Newmarket2 Thread Starter

Clarification: when I say "eject" the drive, I am using "safely remove" and that is what isn't working.

And, yes, shutting down does work but I was hoping that there was a utility that would list file/app allocations or something like that.

Finally, no - the explorer window is not open. I have closed all the applications, including explorer. I'm guessing that some application continues to leave a process out there, open and with a file on the drive allocated, but no application level process is visible.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

6. Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool

Yes, you try these programs. They may work. Safely Remove is kinda better than that other one.

Kind Regards,
    Zero-Cool

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice