1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't empty Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by APartain, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APartain

APartain Thread Starter

Hi! I have amassed quite a number of files in my recycle bin, but when I try to empty it, I get this error message:

"Can't delete (insert file name). It is being used by another program." (and various other similar messages)

I get the same thing when I try to delete individual files. Some of them, it will delete, but most of them it will not.

What can I do? (I have Win XP, btw)
    Thanks for your assistance,
    A. Partain

2. Gram123

Gram123

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't see any solutions on that other forum.

What are the types of files that won't delete.

A few ideas. Make sure you do these with nothing started beforehand. Also I assume you have done a good spyware and virus scan and have not installed programs like Kazaa.

1. Try logging in as the administrator and see if you can empty the Recycle bin.

2. Boot to safe mode.

3. You might try booting to DOS (F8 during the boot process), go to the directory where the recycle bin is and empty it.

4. Run a Chkdsk at the next reboot

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!