1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant enable disk write caching on usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DarkRider, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkRider

DarkRider Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rahul
    Hi guys,

I want to use ready boost with my win 7 laptop using my 16gb usb flash drive.
    But i thought i should enable write-caching first. When i went to policies tab under properties i found two checkboxes i clicked both and then ok .
    I got an error "windows could not change the write-caching setting for this device. Your device might not support this feature or changing the setting. " plz guys tell me how to enable it. I have only 2gb ram and an i3 processor with ati radeon 6700m graphics card

Waiting for quick Responses,
    Thanka in advance

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Adding more RAM will be the best way to improve your computer, 2GB is simply not enough for a modern system and Ready Boost won't give you near the same results.

From what I recall, the write-caching option isn't required by Ready Boost and ignored. So it being off should make no difference.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Also be aware that flash drives using Ready Boost die quicker than flash drives not using that feature because of all the writing to the flash drive.

4. DarkRider

DarkRider Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rahul
    Thanks for replys but can anybody tell me how to use ready boost on a formatted flash drive. I am just a 12 year child i dont have sufficient funds for a ram and my parents will refuse. Actually i have read that the more you increase the slider of ready boost the more ram will be added
    And i dont need my flash drive always so i have increased it to 4094mb (max). 4gb space is occupied but i dont know what to do after it.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you formatted the flash drive, then you probably removed readyboost that was installed by the manufacturer.

When I plug in a new USB stick, I do see readyboost.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice