Can't Enable DMA Mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jangell

Help...

I have an issue that I can not figure out...

No matter what I set the BIOS to, I can not get DMA Mode...The device manager lists PIO mode as the current transfer mode.

My Computer:
ASRock K7S8X Motherboard running SiS746FX chipset
512 RAM - 1 Chip
Video Card
Firewire Card
Maxtor 80 gb drive ata/133 w/8mb cache
windows XP pro

Try setting the settigs for the HDD to auto, and finding out what the DMA mode is, and then setting the PIO mode to "0" and setting the DMA mode to whatever it is. This worked for me.

jangell

WOW...

Go slow...I'm kind of a novice...

Do you mean AUto for the drive in the bios?
If so, that came up as PIO Mode in the device manager.

How do I set PIO mode to 0?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, make sure you have the proper 80 conductor cable, and the connections are nice and tight. You might consider swapping the cable to see if you have a bad one.

There is a little "Rain Dance' that I had to do with one system to get it to set DMA mode.

- Set the properties in Device Manager to PIO only, reboot.
- Enter the BIOS setup and set the IDE channels to UDMA disabled, reboot.
- Set the properties in Device Manager to DMA if available, reboot.
- Enter the BIOS setup and set the IDE channels to UDMA enabled or auto, reboot.

The channels should now be running DMA mode if appropriate. The reason mine were switching back was some flaw in the VIA chipset and standby operation, it would get confused when it tried to spin the disk back up. I stopped using disk shutoff for that reason, no more problem. :)

LMAO, rain dance? Thats a new one and a good one no doubt about that. I actually laughed out loud right now.

:">

crjdriver

I am not familiar with SiS chipsets; does xp have native support for the chipset? Have you installed the mb / chipset drivers?

jangell

Great Stuff...

I needed to update the "SiS Mini IDE Drive"

My problem is fixed.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online