1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant enable DMA on CD drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sealwatcher, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sealwatcher

sealwatcher Thread Starter

Well, as the subject suggests I'm having trouble with DMA on both my CD burner and player.

Both my drives are connected to my secondary ATA100 bus which has never been a problem before. But since installing XP I've noticed a drop in performance, it takes longer for data to be transferred from CD to my HDD and when I play audio I get small skips and pops throughout each track. I'm only guessing this is a DMA issue.

When looking at my IDE/ATA controllers in the Device Manager I have selected DMA if AVAILABLE yet it states that it is not applicable. I know that this is untrue, as I had it working under Win 2K.

I am using the correct ATA cable and I've tried just about every cable and bus combination there is. I've also tried altering the bios to no effect. I'm running XP Pro, with a Sony 16x DVD player (as my master) and an LG 8080b CDR/RW. 40 WD 7200rpm HDD, ASUS A7V mobo, AMD Thunderbird 800 cpu.

Is there any way I can check the transfer speed from the CD to HDD? and does anyone have any tips on how to get the DMA working?

Thanks for any help.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There is a known bug in XP concerning DMA. I believe it is fixed in SP1. I think there is also an independant fix for it (registry patch)

3. dai

dai

check your bios also and make sure it is enabled in there

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've seen Johnwill (another member here) mention several times:

First off, make sure you have the proper 80 conductor cable, and the connections are nice and tight. You might consider swapping the cable to see if you have a bad one.

There is a little "Rain Dance' that I had to do with one system to get it to set DMA mode.

- Set the properties in Device Manager to PIO only, reboot.
    - Enter the BIOS setup and set the IDE channels to UDMA disabled, reboot.
    - Set the properties in Device Manager to DMA if available, reboot.
    - Enter the BIOS setup and set the IDE channels to UDMA enabled or auto, reboot.

The channels should now be running DMA mode if appropriate. The reason mine were switching back was some flaw in the VIA chipset and standby operation, it would get confused when it tried to spin the disk back up. I stopped using disk shutoff for that reason, no more problem.

Another thing to try is to download the latest Chipset or IDE drivers from the manufacturer of the motherboard chipset and for the Promise IDE controller that I believe this board has?
    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V&Type=Latest

The latest Via chipset drivers can be downloaded from here: http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Try the drives on both the regular IDE and on the Promise Controller or even split the drives up.

5. sealwatcher

sealwatcher Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try them out and let you know how I get on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice