1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't enable java

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shemightbedani, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shemightbedani

Shemightbedani Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP. My computer won't let me view Java even though I have it enabled. Certain websites can't be viewed correctly, or it tells me I need to enable Java. I have Active Scripting enabled. I've tried uninstalling Java and reinstalling it again, but it doesn't work. Any idea on what the problem is???

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. Shemightbedani

It still doesn't work :(

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

5. Shemightbedani

I've recently updated everything and it's still not working. I'm not sure if it's Java. On Myspace i get this error message:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open this site and it will test both Java and Javascript (they are different).

Is one or both disabled or not loading?

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Flash content can be tested here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Also, test the issue in alternate browsers, not just IE.

Be advised some 3rd party firewalls can disable these in ALL browsers.

7. Shemightbedani

The first site says I am Javascript enabled and Java enabled.

The second site, under shockwave, I can see the content and it says Installation Complete. Under Adobe Flash Player, it says I need the latest Flash player and Java Script enabled to view this content. But I have the latest Flash player and Javascript enabled!

How do I test this under other browsers?

All the other accounts on our computer get the same result as me, except for one. Under that account, you can view the Flash content.

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    What web browser are you running (IE, Firefox, Opera etc)?

9. Shemightbedani

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

11. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Scroll down to Java (Sun) > "Use JRE (version) for <applet>" and ensure the box is ticked.

Let us know how this goes.

12. Shemightbedani

Techkid, my Java (Sun) > "Use JRE (version) for <applet> box was already ticked.

It is definitely my flash player giving me this trouble, not Java. I went to simpsonizeme.com and it says I need flash player to view the site.

I ran the uninstaller and installed flash again but nothing works. Secunia says my flash player is updated though. When I install flash, the installation completion movie appears and then the window refreshes and it is gone. Though my computer and Secunia says it is installed.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Add-ons and look at the entries in the various drop down boxes.

Is Flash there and enabled?

In these screenshots you see it both disabled and enabled.

Also, does it work if you try another browser such as Firefox or Opera?

Attached Files:

14. Shemightbedani

I tested it in Firefox and it still didn't work.

I looked under my add-ons and flash wasn't listed. I downloaded flash again, and then it was listed under my add-ons, but once I close out internet explorer and then open it up again, it disappears from the list.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you looking at all the lists? There is a "currently loaded" list, and 3 others. Does it disappear from all of them?

Post a HijackThis scanlog.

This issue can also be caused by 3rd party firewalls such as Norton or ZoneAlarm.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!