1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't enable wifi on HP 2000 laptop?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Emilyk41197, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Emilyk41197

Emilyk41197 Thread Starter

This is my first post here, so please excuse any mistakes I may make. My HP 2000 laptop isn't allowing me to enable my wifi. If I press F12, it enables and disables Airplane Mode instead of my wireless connection. I've had to do this before, and it was through the control panel I think? I'm using Windows 8 OS. Any help is appreciated,

Emily

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Airplane Mode on (enabled) is the brilliant new terminology meaning Wi-Fi off. Airplane Mode off (disabled) means Wi-Fi on. People were beginning to understand about switching wireless on and off so they had to change something to increase the confusion factor.

4. Emilyk41197

Emilyk41197 Thread Starter

So (and I know I sound stupid), when the button is orange, wifi should be on? Right? Because no matter how many times I press it, the color remains the same. Thanks for any help :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I have two HP laptops, with different types of wireless toggles, and on both the wireless LED is orange for off and blue for on.

Are you sure your toggle is the F12 key? Not the Fn + F12 key combination? You may also have an HP utility that can turn the Wi-Fi off. If so there probably is an icon for it in the Notification Area.

6. techinquirer

techinquirer

HP computers have had a lot of problems with built-in wifi, particularly on laptop (or notebook) computers. Here is a link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+fails+or+failing%29+on+HP+computers&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

I found a simple solution, but it is not free (unfortunately). But it does work well. Purchase a product made by Netgear, a USB wireless adapter, which is hyperlinked below:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/simplesharing/wna1000m.aspx#

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103278