1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't enable write caching on USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Everettcyb, Apr 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Everettcyb

Everettcyb Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to enable write caching on my USB so that I can ready boost. Now I know this question has been asked before here, but it didn't solve my problem. Basically, it says that this device cannot be used for ready boost because its fast enough with out it. But, there are games I play that still lag, not to the point where its 1 fps, but the frame rate drops to below 30% of its original frame rate, and I want to ready boost my computer to solve this problem, or at least increase the frame rate. Now I have tried to enable write caching, but every time I try to, it gives me an error that goes as follows: Windows could not change the write cache setting for the device. How do I change or work around this? If I cant is there any software or method other than buying more ram that can boost my computer in anyway?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've not used it, but it's meant as a low RAM alternative. If you have sufficient RAM, you won't see any difference.

And FPS in gaming are generally CPU or GPU issues, not RAM or HDD read speeds.

3. Everettcyb

Well, I have 4 gb ram. That really isn't sufficient in today's standards. So, are there any other low ram solutions? If not, how do I fix the gpu issue/ issues?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What OS are you using?

Upgrade hardware (motherboard/cpu or video card) depending on which is causing the slowness. For testing, reduce the resolution and/or graphics quality and see if the FPS increases.

5. Everettcyb

Ok, I am using Windows 7. And on call of duty 4 modern warfare, no matter how much I decrease or increase the graphics/resolution, it still lags to the same degree. Before I buy or upgrade and spend money I could have saved, are there any low ram solutions?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice