1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't enter BIOS and can't enter Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Colya, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

Hey all,
    my cousin dropped off her laptop (Acer aspire V5-571 series) with a problem.
    when she booted up the PC it gave a message "Operating system not found", after a quick google search i found that if i boot from a USB installer and repair the PC, or go into bios and change the HDD location etc. I could fix it.
    This is not the main problem, the main problem is i CANT get into the BIOS after everything i have tried and the only way i can fix this PC is if i enter the BIOS, anyone know either how to fix the OS not found without BIOS, OR, how to get into BIOS without windows.
    (Yes i have tried pressing F2,Delete,F12 etc.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

The hard drive is probably damaged from the drop. If you can't get to the BIOS, something else on the motherboard may be damaged as well.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TonyB25:
    I believe colya made a typo and meant to say "my cousin dropped OFF her laptop with a problem".
    I don't believe he/she was saying that it got dropped on the floor.

colya:
    Did your cousin tell you what happened to or what was done to that laptop before it was given to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You're right, Frank! I misread. of = OFF.

Still think it's a problem with the hard drive. Maybe motherboard. But now with an unknown cause.

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    This doesn't mention a specific model of Acer, but it may work for you ...

6. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

sorry my bad, it was a typo... she says the laptop had been in storage (nothing that could have damaged it) and before she put it away it was working fine.

7. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

i know your here to help, but every forum i have asked this on there is always one who thinks i haven't tried this. as i stated "(Yes i have tried pressing F2,Delete,F12 etc.)" everything to get into bios.

8. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

-----Bump-----

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It's an attitude like that that makes it difficult for people to want to try to help you, which is all I was doing, trying to help!
    This video indicates to press the <F2> key prior to powering on. This is an unusual method. Typically one would press the <F2> after powering on.
    I'm out ...

10. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Maybe I read the post wrong, the problem seems to be the same. Bad hard drive and/or damaged motherboard.

11. LIS333

LIS333

Had a similar issue come up with a dell. Technician instructed me to do hard shutdown 4 consecutive times after which it booted to a recovery console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

already tried that nothing came up, just went straight to the OS not found screen

shreyas6799 likes this.
  13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well the POST seems to be working at least... Generally the screen will tell which button to press to get into SETUP. From what I have seen with Acer laptops the BIOS entry is F2. I usually hold F2 while pressing the power button. Do you get the ACER splash screen on boot up?

OS not found is a corrupt MBR in my experience. It seems that the BIOS issue may be a bug due to some settings. There is a BIOS recovery (though seems to be cumbersome) that is listed in the technical manual. Start here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/440335/Acer-Aspire-V5-571.html?page=196#manual

Without being at the computer I can't say too much more.

14. LIS333

LIS333

Regarding the can't find operating system problem, have you checked all the slots to see if perhaps a memory card such as an SD card is plugged into the computer? Have you checked the CD or DVD drive to see if there's a disk there? Sometimes people put in the memory card or thumb drive to enable boost on the computer. If there is a card or thumb drive inserted, or a CD in the drive drawer, your computer may be looking there to boot from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Colya

Colya Thread Starter

There is no sd card, CD, or other media device plugged in. and same issue.
    Thanks for the help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice