1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Enter BIOS At Start-Up & Can't Put XP On New HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M-827, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. M-827

M-827 Thread Starter

I have been trying to put XP onto a hard drive that I previously only used as a second archive hard drive, but when I take out the current main hard drive and set the slave to master, then boot-up with my bootable XP CD it won't do anything and gives me an error.

First time it completely ignored the bootable CD, gave me a blank screen and stopped, saying that the System 32 hal.dll file was missing. After several more attempts I gave up and put the old main hard drive in, set the one I was trying to put XP on back to slave, then formatted the second hard drive from C:\.

I then took out the old main hard drive again, set the second one to slave and tried booting up again with my bootable XP CD. This time it completely ignored everything, gave me the black screen and this time a different error: 'NTLDR is missing' and told me to Cntrl+Alt+Del to restart. I tried this a couple of times and just got the same thing.

So, next thing I wanted to check was the BIOS to see if booting from CD was definitely enabled (it always has been and I have used it before on this PC). I pressed delete on start-up as I have always done to enter the BIOS and it WILL NOT enter the BIOS! Tried again several times and it just won't do it.

Has anyone got any ideas why first of all my PC thinks there are Windows files missing when all it has is a blank, formatted hard drive to deal with? Also could anyone suggest why I can't get into BIOS? Maybe these problems are related. I have previously done exactly what I want to do now on this PC with no problems whatsoever.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 SE, the processor is a Celeron 2.4GHz and I have 1GB of ram.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Mike

(y)

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Remove the main hard drive completely from the system, set the desired "new" drive to Master or CS, and attempt to boot.

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

Try clearing your bios. Use either the jumpers that clear it or take out the CMOS to reset the system before you deal with the HDs again. You've probably just confused the poor thing with all your doing. Let us know...Jazz

4. M-827

M-827 Thread Starter

Thanks Rogue and Jazz :)

I was doing this with the main hard drive removed completely and just the new formatted hard drive in there.

I haven't tried clearing the BIOS, so I'll give that a go.

Thanks again,

Mike

:)

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Use A ps2 connection keyboard as many BIOS's will not recognise USB until Windows loads, by which time it's too late.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice