1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Enter BIOS Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erstockton, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erstockton

erstockton Thread Starter

I am building a new system srounf an Intel D955Xbk motherboard and Pentium D processor. I have 2 GB of RAM, an ATI x1900 video card and a Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drive.

For some reason, I cannot enter Setup by pressing F2 during startup. Pressing F2 has no effect. I need to change some settings, but am unable to. Is this a problem with the board?

2. buddythedog

buddythedog

Keyboard work?

3. valis

valis Moderator

first rule of tech support:

keep it simple, stupid.

If I had a dollar for every time I violated that credo and had various compnents spread across hell and back just to find out that the machine was in the O-F-F position, I wouldn't be doing this anymore......

4. newhen

newhen

some BOIS uses differnt keys tried that?

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

maybe f2 isn't the right keystroke. the bootup screen tells you what it is.

6. GripS

GripS

Just throwing this out there as well. Is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard? If it's a PS/2 and a microsoft keyboard you need to tap the 'F-lock' key real quick then press 'F2'.

USB keyboard support often times needs to be enabled in the bios for the keys to respond before getting into windows. You would need a PS/2 keyboard in order to do this.:)

7. erstockton

Yeah, I've tried a couple of different ones.

8. erstockton

It says Setup F2 on the opening screen and also in the manual.

9. erstockton

I'm sorry, what is the O-F-F position? Thanks.

10. erstockton

The opening screen and manual say F2. Thanks.

11. erstockton

I've tried a couple of different keyboards, neither Microsoft or USB. Thanks.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

On some Intel boards the screens load very fast. Try rebooting and as soon as you reboot (don't wait for any splash screens) start tapping F2 continuously. If that doesn't get you into BIOS then I would go to;

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2070

choose your operating system and install the latest BIOS. Then are 4 methods to update the BIOS but, I would highly recommend using the EXPRESS update since it is the easiest to use.

13. valis

valis Moderator

don't worry about it, it doesn't apply here....

14. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Your just so irascible Valis my old mate. :D :D

15. valis

valis Moderator

well, it doesn't. and sometimes, explaining it takes more time to just say it was a joke on myself in the first place......:)

Kid won first place in the halloween costume contest Sat night, not to hijack the thread.....link here.....http://forums.techguy.org/photo-album/513628-kids-halloween-costumes.html

back to the bios problem at hand; erstockton, were you able to do as win2k recommended?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice