Can't enter BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisma

Since today my PC forces me to enter BIOS at startup. It just shows me the ASUS Logo with the text to press f2 or del to enter BIOS underneath, it doesn't continue to start up windows from there. The problem is I cannot enter the BIOS because my Keyboard is not activated at that stage because of the BIOS setting to activate USB devices only after startup. So I am stuck at the starting screen and cannot do anything. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have put the keyboard in the priority USB slot, tried a different keyboard, tried a PS2 keyboard and even reset the CMOS but nothing has worked so far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The keyboard should be usable at that stage as the keyboard usb port is loaded on post as a legacy device
AND if you were correct and it was NOT loading then most certainly the PS2 keyboard should have done

IMHO there is some other problem
The normal reason for a computer to boot only to BIOS is because there is a problem with the drive on which Windows is installed and the lading process is not seeing the windows boot manager

However in those cases the computer boots to the BIIOS

Boot it from a Windows 10 USB or DVD - if you do not have one then make one from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
using the procedure
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

the tool will make the USB pen for you, all you have to do is choose the bit version etc as explained on the link

If you have not already done so disconnect all external devices except keyboard mouse and monitor and try the boot again. before you proceed to the 10 usb to use to attempt repair

chrisma

The keyboard should be usable at that stage as the keyboard usb port is loaded on post as a legacy device
AND if you were correct and it was NOT loading then most certainly the PS2 keyboard should have done

IMHO there is some other problem
The normal reason for a computer to boot only to BIOS is because there is a problem with the drive on which Windows is installed and the lading process is not seeing the windows boot manager

However in those cases the computer boots to the BIIOS

Boot it from a Windows 10 USB or DVD - if you do not have one then make one from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
using the procedure
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

the tool will make the USB pen for you, all you have to do is choose the bit version etc as explained on the link

If you have not already done so disconnect all external devices except keyboard mouse and monitor and try the boot again. before you proceed to the 10 usb to use to attempt repair

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately still nothing happens. When I put the USB in and start the PC, I still see the same ASUS screen with "F2 or Del for BIOS".

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers when you reply next please type in box that appears AFTER my post, not by clicking reply on my post, that as you can see quotes back all I type.

What please is the FULL model details of the computer

I presume it is a desktop

It would help if you had the full model of the motherboard

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That is strange that it doesn't say anything else....

Try removing all external cables except monitor, power, and keyboard.

I would do a hard CMOS clear, ATX power cable removed, CMOS battery removed, PSU off and unplugged, any add in GPU removed if you have something like an Intel iGPU, AMD APU etc, memory removed. Let the battery sit out for a good 15 minutes. Everything back in, PSU on - startup. Sounds like something is hanging your system up could be memory, heat, PSU.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online