1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't enter secure Websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bomac, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bomac

bomac Thread Starter

Recently I have lost the ability to get into secure sites. Example: When ever I go to checkout to make a purchase, I get an error message saying.

Problem Report
    There was a communication problem.

Message ID
    TCP_ERROR

Problem Description
    The system was unable to communicate with the server.

Possible Problem Cause
    The Web server may be down.
    The Web server may be too busy.
    The Web server may be experiencing other problems, preventing it from responding to clients.
    The communication path may be experiencing problems.

Possible Solution
    Try connecting to this server later.

Also some sites that I used to login into won't let me back in.

Running ME (has worked great from day one)

I have tried different Browsers:

IE 6 with latest patch, checked all the security and privacy settings, and has toggled off and on many of the advanced settings.
    I have checked my settings, SSL 2 and 3 are enabled and TLS1 is enabled.
    I am using a program called AnologXProxy for my network and when I look at the LAN settings I am using local host 9877 for all the ports.
    I really don't understand the LAN settings but I don't believe they have changed recently.

Mozzila; I am not sure when the problem started but it may have been after installing Mozzila 1.0, have since uninstalled it.

Opera: Just installed it, it's a winner, but hasn't cured my problem.

I am using Norton’s Internet Security software and have checked the settings; I don't see anything that has changed. I have disabled Norton's a couple of times while trying to figure this out.
    I have also tried several secure sites, received virtually the same message every time.

Ran Ad-ware, didn't help, although it found some junk.

I am running a two-machine network with this machine being the server, but don't get the wrong impression, I am not a geek, I just fumbled around until I got it to work. (geek is being used in a complimentary way)
    At A Loss.

I used a cross link cable, no router or switch.

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Check you TCP/IP settings and also your dns numbers.

Are you using a cable modem, if so you might have to remove the modem, uninstall the software, reboot, install the software, reboot and then reinstall the modem.

3. Del

Del

Unless you have a built in , internal, cable modem, you shouldn't even see it. Only the NIC.
    Can you still get to the secure sites with the machine acting as the proxy?

4. bomac

bomac Thread Starter

I am using a satellite modem from starband, it is external and tcp/ip setting in the network section are set on auto detect IP address. It connects to the PC through USB. I cannot access secure sites at all.

5. Del

Del

Well, if you have Win ME, these's always System Restore.
    Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
    If you have a restore point a day or so ago and it was working then. You can restore to that point. If if don't work, you can undo the restore.
    Worked many times for me.

6. bomac

bomac Thread Starter

I have posted this problem on several sites so I decided to make a general report to everyone that the problem is solved but I am afraid this may not be very helpful to anyone else. The following advice was given, but things didn’t go as planned.

I think the Opera error may be caused by a different problem but let's try a repair of Internet Explorer

go Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Add/Remove Programs and select Internet Explorer from the list

Click Remove

You will now get a menu and the second option in the menu is Repair Internet Explorer. Choose this option and allow the repair to progress.

You will be asked either to reinstall Internet Explorer or to just restart your computer.

IE 6 was installed, when I tried to run the repair it said it could not, I would have to reinstall it.
    So I decided to use one of the other options, revert back to IE 5. It did, then I rebooted (which was required) and Windows would not start again. I had to reinstall my operating system and am now using IE 5.5 and everything is ok. But I don’t know if 5.5 or the reinstall of the operating system cured the problem.

THANK’S TO EVERY ONE WHO OFFERD HELP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/97664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice