1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Enter the Bios setup (IBM thinkpad 600)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maher_molla, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maher_molla

maher_molla Thread Starter

I have an IBM thinkpad 600 laptop, It posts an error code 161 and 162. I hols pressing f1 key and power on but it does not enter the BIOS setup. Also I mesured the Battery voltage but it has the correct voltage level, 3V. any one can help me solving this problem. or at less tell me how to access this BIOS.

thanks,
    Maher

2. brianF

brianF

Hold the F1 key down and press power on while continuing to hold F1 down

3. maher_molla

I did that but it didn't enter the BIOS

4. gws226

gws226

Error code 161 is the CMOS battery... why don't your replace it/check to make sure the connections are still good... Once you replace the battery the 161 code should disappear, but the 162 code will remain til you can into the bios and reset the clock (that was the only item that caused the 162 issue after I changed my battery on my 600)

Also... keep hitting that F1 key, until you heard a beeping noise... if you don't hear it, then the key and/or the keyboard may be shot.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docvie...1DETR-3UFNU9&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

5. dark4une

dark4une

I just messed with a IBM Thinkpad recently and the key to get to bios was cntrl alt del at startup.

6. maher_molla

was it Thinkpad 600 "dark4une"

7. dark4une

dark4une

no 760 xl

8. gws226

gws226

The 600 Im on right now is F1.

Do you have an extra USB keyboard or docking station around... try plugging in another keyboard (should help resolve the Stuck F1 key problem)

G

9. dark4une

dark4une

10. maher_molla

Now it seams like it needs a password now. It gives me a symbole like a lock and I don't know any password for this laptop. it gives me 3 trials then hangs.
    If any one know a master password that can overcome this password? PLZ help

11. maher_molla

IBM thinkpad 600 laptop needs password to enter the cmos setup and I have no password for this laptop. what Can I do ? PLZ Help

Maher

12. joeyd

joeyd

If it is a standard bios password there are a few ways (none particularly easy on the notebooks i have worked on, i dont know how easy on ibm models tho). . How did the password get on there? If u purchased it second hand then the best thing to do would be to contact the person/retailer u bought it from.

You could also contact the manufacturer, but i i'm not sure if they would help, due to the number of notebooks that are stolen. I know our company dont help unless we have proof that the owner purchased the unit from us directly.

Looking at your earlier post tho, u are going to have to change the battery anyway so that will probably solve your problem

13. dark4une

dark4une

Password lock, thats a new one.

14. gws226

gws226

Thats not good... the 600's store the password on a chip seperate from the cmos chip (ie: pulling the battery out will not reset the password) Sort-a a built in theft deterent... but usually caused more harm than good.

are you the original owner?

15. maher_molla

So what can I do to Clear this password ?????

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice