1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Ethernet Wireless Router On XP But Works On Mac

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimwg, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimwg

jimwg Thread Starter

Greetings:

Our home school's having trouble attaching a wireless router to my XP PC's ethernet port.

Our donated vintage Macs and XP machines are tied to the internet via a cable box's wireless router. Works just fine. Now I wish to boost the signal to a building beyond the local area by attaching a wireless router to a Dell 260 running XP. This router's IP is 192.168.11.1 (ON) and 192.168.11.100 (OFF), and I've spent hours with the Connection Wizard thing on XP trying to create a ethernet path to the router but I can't find a configuration that states an ethernet path or channel. The modem lights normally and other machines can pick up and connect with its signal but there's no real transmission, the receiver machines getting:

Firefox can't find the server at http://www.acorn.com.
    Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of http://www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Ironically, the router works just great on the Macs, which has both Airport on to receive signals from a cable TV wireless router and also has its shared Ethernet connection on, and the ethernet side requires no IP configuration like it seems you must on the XP's internet connection page. The router in question just plugs in the Mac and transmits just fine. I would use the Mac for this purpose but I really wish to use the Dell.

The Dell's current network configuration after many trials:

Wireless Connection 3
    LAN / High Speed Internet
    Connected, Firewalled
    802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card
    IP 169.18.2.7
    Subspace Net 255.255.0.0
    No Default Gateway
    Sent 37,445
    Received 36,768

DELL9000
    Limited or No Connectivity
    IP 169.254.57.164
    Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    Sent 470
    Received 173

MAC Config:

Airport
    DHCP
    IP 192.168.0.14
    Router 192.168.0.1

Ethernet
    DHCP With/Without Manual Address
    IP 192.168.11.1

Oddly, the Mac's Network panel states: "The cable for built-in ethernet is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address and cannot connect the internet." Yet it does!

Any assistance would truly be appreciated!

Jim in NYC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice