1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't even boot into safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zmanishere11, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zmanishere11

zmanishere11 Thread Starter

So here's what happened:

Got a virus (didn't write the name down, last time that happens), my norton said I needed to restart to clean the virus.

Did that twice but it came back each time.

So I did a system restore back a couple of days and now if I start windows normally, I get blue screen of death, and if I try and start in any safe mode, it runs through something that looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/system32/Drivers . . . . . ..

And then freezes at this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS/system32/Drivers/ephdxlat.sys

without ever getting into safe mode.

Any thoughts???

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Follow this guide to access files on you hard drive and delete that file "ephdxlat.sys" from the hard drive, then try to boot it normally. If it does boot successfully, re run a full system scan with your AV.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

If this does not get it booting, make a bootable AV CD and boot from it to scan the drive, remove any infections it finds, then try to start up normally.

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

I prefer the one from Kaspersky.

3. zmanishere11

zmanishere11 Thread Starter

tryed ubuntu, but can't get my hard drive to show, and when I run the antivirus you suggested, it only scans one file!!!

4. Michael York

Michael York

Hi zmanishere11,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The issue you are having can be caused by important system files being infected, or it can also be caused by infected files that reside in your Restore point. Please follow the instructions in the link below to create a Norton Bootable Recovery CD.

Download and create the Norton Bootable recovery CD

Please let me know which Norton product and version you currently have installed. Also, please let me know if any infections are detected after you boot and then scan with the Bootable Recovery CD.

Thank you,
    Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice