1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Extend Partition C into unallocated space on separate internal disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kmg393, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmg393

kmg393 Thread Starter

Hi,

I read up a bit on this on other threads but none of them are exactly specific to my issue.

I need to expand my C partition by utilizing the free unallocated space on disk D (a separate disk) that I just made by deleting the only partition on there.
    I guess this is not possible through windows disk management tools but I didn't want to start downloading any 3rd party software for this before I got some guidance from here.

Please take a look at the following screen and let me know if using the 238.38GB of unused (unallocated space) I can extend the C partition without having to delete that partition, having to backup the files on it or making images. I already backed up everything I had on the D partition and then went ahead and deleted it through the computer management tool.

Thanks!

Kacper

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Disk Management is fairly basic and can only do certain things. For doing what you want that can do it and preserve the data you would need a 3rd party program. There are many free ones on the web but as I haven't used them I cannot say how good they work. I use Acronis Disk Director. If you had pgram like TrueImage you could take a image of the operating System and files then format the HDD to one partition you want and then re-image the HDD.

3. kmg393

kmg393 Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt response.

What you're proposing seems rather standard but scares me since I just went through a month-long process of cleaning my PC, reinstalling W7 and then repurchasing/reinstalling all my programs and the thought of having to go through any of that is rather worrying.

The issue at hand is actually rather trivial so perhaps I'll just tell you what I'm trying to achieve here and maybe you can tell me an easier solution than merging my partitions.

Namely, I have 2 huge folders with several levels of subfolders all on drive D (had anyways before I deleted the partition). It's all music (~100GB) but I wanted to leave space on partition C in order to have space for programs and documents etc. The problem arises when I try to search for any of the the files on drive D in the basic search box once I click the start menu windows icon. I have "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" selected on all the folders but that still doesn't make the folders and files searchable. Only the files on partition C actually appear in the search results. Is there any simple way about making sure that the files actually appear in the simple search without having to merge the partitions?

Thanks!

-K

4. kmg393

kmg393 Thread Starter

^response?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice