1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant figure out how to boot from CD!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sephroth57, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephroth57

Sephroth57 Thread Starter

ok heres the story, i wiped this computer and used a windows XP SP2 install disc to reformat and install XP on it. well it got to the part where it asks for product key which is like in the middle of the install for some reason, and well i didnt have one i didnt expect it to ask for it... was supposed ot be cracked. so anyway i decide i dont want to install this version and i turn off the computer cause theres no way to cancel out of it or go forward. so i have a windows ME disc i want to install instead. last time i just mashed all the F keys while it was booting and it said, press any key to boot from CD, and thats how i installed XP. well im doing that and its not doing anything, i can get to the bios and the CDrom is the highest in the order of boot device but it doesnt matter, it just boots halfway up and tries to finish installing XP.

how can i get it to boot from CD and install ME, or just format and start over?

2. Sephroth57

Sephroth57 Thread Starter

please help! im trying to get this computer running tonight

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If you don't have a registration key, you can't use the XP. To go back to Me, you need to get a boot disk (get it from Bootdisk.com) for ME. If you download it to A: drive, then put the disk in and Fdisk, Delete the Ntfs partition or all partitions, then Partition the disk, make partition Active, shut down, then upon reboot let it load and format the drive....when finished, type setup and away it will go if you have the OS disk in the CDRom drive. (I know this was a short and brief summary and hope you understand, but if not write back)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice