1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't figure out why my connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by horsovski, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

Hi

I am having problems with my internet connection dropping every day, usually around 2-3 times per day. Internet goes off for a second or two and it comes back. Usually this wouldn't be a problem for me but I am a professional poker player and every time internet goes off, I loose all my active tables in poker lobbys (due to reconnect) which is unacceptable and a serious problem for me.

I'm running windows 7 64x ULTIMATE with two LAN adapters on my motherboard:

-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    -Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

I'm connected directly with modem without any routers in between.

I use one for internet and other for IPTV but I have also alredy tried using just internet on both, changing cables, disabling the unused one,etc.. I've also updated both drivers to latest and disabled any sleep modes on these adapters as well as in windows.

What Have I done so far?

-Updated latest driver, changed cables, disabling one, disabling sleep modes.
    -Formatted my computer (Went back to win7 from win8 as I thought this might be the issue)
    -Tried removing programs such as NOD32,Utorrent,etc..
    -Talked with ISP who replaced the modem and confirmed it is stable and not dropping connection on their side.

I'm not sure what else to do and I'm out of options so hopefully some of you might help me figure out what's causing this. I'm also attaching my ipconfig /all log:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ?? Your ipconfig /all shows a connection to a router. Is your "modem" and modem/router combination unit?

You are sure the disconnect is between computer and router? And it is really a disconnect, and not a slight delay?

3. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

It's a modem (Prospero632+ Home Gateway) I get from my ISP and I'm connected directly to it with ethernet. There is another router in the house but I don't use that for connecting.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is, that's what I was trying to find out. As I said in my original post, the internet goes off for a second or two which causes me to lose all tables which is unacceptable for me...I don't know if that is a disconnect or delay.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This Prospero632+?

The lease time for that router's Dhcp server seems to be short--maybe as short as twelve hours. If it's twelve hours then after six hours your computer would try to renew the lease. That could cause a slight delay to other traffic. In case this is what is happening I suggest to make the lease time longer--say two days or even longer.

Unless you get any notice from LEDs on the Prospero632+ or a "no internet access" notice on the PC I don't know how we can determine delay vs. actual disconnect. And unless it is as I surmised above I don't know what the cause or fix may be.

5. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

Yes this is the modem from my ISP. I've looked on modem settings and there is no option to set lease time on this modem so this is not the solution unfortunately.

Also when this happens there are no LED changes on modem and no messages on PC as well, internet just goes off for a second or two and comes back but during this time I loose the tables and other stuff as explained in original post.

6. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

I have now tried installing a new LAN card and disabled those two on motherboard and same thing continues to happen so I really don't know what to do anymore... [inappropriate offer deleted by mod]

7. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

Can someone help me with this please?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no ideas beyond the lease time--and that's no guarantee anyhow. Nonetheless, you may want to contact your ISP and see if they can and will increase the lease time. I suspect that there is a way, but they have it locked out of your control for some reason.

9. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

The lease time on my ISP is 24hours I suppose. Modem reboots once per day, every day at same time, after 24hour cycle.

10. horsovski

horsovski Thread Starter

Update

I have now formatted again my computer, this time I installed windows 8, updated all the required drivers, installed few programs and same thing happens again I'm also using now only one LAN card to determine the real issue.

On top of that I have also connected another laptop same way to modem as my main computer and surprisingly there everything works smoothly and doesn't disconnect.

Here is the list of program I've installed so far ( Keep in mind that all of these programs are installed on a laptop where everything works as well, except for driver based programs such as Razer drivers for example...):

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea what this could be as it doesn't make sense anymore...?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice