1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't figure out why this happened. (GPU issue)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oneSorcerer, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

I've been playing some games lately and have been noticing my gfx card (GTX 770) getting very hot, 90-95C at times. It's an older card so I figured I would pop it out and change the thermal paste and give it a good cleaning. I've done this more than a dozen times with as many GPUs. Got it all cleaned up and put it back in and no boot. Nothing. VGA LED on. Expletives running through my head as I figured this card was now toast.

Pop it out, throw it in another computer I have, boots and works just fine. So ????. Took the GPU from the second computer and put it in the first one, it boots and works fine. So it's not the ports. Take the 770 back out of the 2nd computer, put it back in the first one, and boom it boots and works fine, temps look good. So ????.

So in the end, I don't really have a problem to solve, I'm just very confused. Why did this happen? Did something reset when I put it in the other computer? lol pretty stressful morning. Sorry for the convoluted story.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1
    AMD FX-8150 3.6ghz
    8GB Patriot RAM 1866
    EVGA GTX 770
    Corsair CX750w psu

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Something could have just been loose not just just not seated 100%, not even necessarily the GPU.

3. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

Before I swapped it to the other PC, I seated the crap outta that thing. Tried a different set of 6/8 pin plugs and everything. Computers are weird.

Good news is I'm only at 70-78C under load now. The TIM in that thing was basically dust >.>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice