1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant figure this out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luby70, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luby70

luby70 Thread Starter

so my comp bugged out the other day. i turned my monitor on after it being off for a few hours and i had columns of white rectangles all across my monitor. so i shut my comp down for a while cause i thought it might just be cause it was on for so long. after 7 hours of being off i turned it on and everything was fine, so i went to bed and shut my monitor off. when i woke up i had the white columns again all across my monitor. it has been like this for a few days now and it wont go back. i was wondering if anyone knew of any viruses or spy wear or ad-wear that can do this or is it possibly a hardware issue. also before you ask i have a video card that my monitor is plugged into and i think that is what it is but im not sure and i cannot find the converter to plug my monitor directly into my motherboard to bypass the video card. also when i turn my comp on and i go into the system screen its all messed up, nothings in the right place and i cannot see what is what. last but not least, when i start it up and it goes from the boot screen to the windows loading screen it actually goes to a random screen first with columns of weird letters and number and the screen is blue purple and black.

any help ideas, or suggestions would be great seeing as i built my comp myself and i like to fix it when it breaks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like the video card. Open up the case and make sure its seated well in the slot - it would be a good idea to pull it out and then place it back in the slot to reseat the card. Also while doing that examine the video card, make sure the fan and heatsink aren't really dirty, and then watch if the fan works on the card when you start up the computer - if the card overheated then that could be why you're seeing the screen corruption.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot plug your monitor directly into the motherboard unless your board has onboard video. If you did have this option, then you must remove your video card in order to use the onboard video.

When you pull the video card, do be careful. There is usually a plastic lock that must be pushed/moved in order to remove the video card.

If you are getting this corruption on the bios screen or during post, then it is a hardware problem and not a virus, malware.

I assume you have tried another monitor OR tried your monitor on another system to test.

4. luby70

luby70 Thread Starter

ya i have tried a different monitor and mine on my friends computer and i know its not that so i guess ill check out the video card.

5. luby70

luby70 Thread Starter

so i just got back from my work trip and i removed my video card and looked at it, everything seems fine and its not really dirty but i am still having the problem and new ideas?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even if it looks 100% fine, it still may be broke. Best way to find out is to try the video card in another computer or have it tested.

7. luby70

luby70 Thread Starter

ya that is what i was thinking, but my video card is agp and i dont have a PCI express slot so i need to see if anyone of my friends has a agp slot video card so i can check it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice