1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Finalize Ndiswrapper Installation

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by m00k, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Hi. I'm a bit of a Linux noob, so please bear with me. I'm using the latest versions of Ubuntu and ndiswrapper.

I've tried to get my wireless card (Belkin FSD7001) working by following this video, but when I type in "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" I get an error saying "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory."

When I type "ndiswrapper -l" I get:

bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternative driver: ssb)

bcmwl5a : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternative driver: ssb)​

The error and the result from ndiswrapper -l seem to contradict each other, right? On some other threads for similar problems, some people say that "you need to install the firmware" but I'm not sure what this means or if it even applies to my own problem.

Here's the printout for my ifconfig in case it helps:

eth0
    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:70:f7:10:6b
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1500 METRIC:1
    RX packts <--> collisions: 0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bites: 0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)​

lo
    Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MUT: 16436 Metric:1
    RX packets <--> TX bytes : 0​

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Wino

Wino

If you have the Belkin disc or the driver file on your machine & NDISwrapper installed, go to SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>WINDOWS WIRELESS DRIVERS and follow instructions there to install. That's the easiest way I've found to do it with three different wireless PCMCIA or PCI cards, laptop or tower. Hope this helps.

I'm a Linux noob, too and trying to load anything using a terminal window becomes a small nightmare for me.:)

3. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

I don't seem to have a Windows Wireless Drivers option under Sys>Admin...

4. Wino

Wino

Try APPLICATIONS>UBUNTU SOFTWARE CENTER, type NDISwrapper in search window>ENTER (spyglass icon) and be sure NDIS is installed (should be a green circle with checkmark in middle if it is). If installed from here it should put the Windows Wireless link where I stated earlier. If it shows to be installed, tell it to reinstall, or remove and reinstall.

5. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Hmm, it's not in the list, but it seems to be installed since I can use it from the Terminal...

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

You might find it easier to use the ndiswrapper GUI.

Look for ndiswrapper-gtk in the repositories.

7. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

I don't see it anywhere. I also searched for it with the search program built into Ubuntu. :confused:

edit: I found the following three files - ndisgtk.desktop, .png, and .mo. Are these what I need?

8. Wino

Wino

System.Administration>Synaptic Package Manager> type ndis in search window, Enter - should show ndisgtk; ndiswrapper-utils-1.9; ndiswrapper-common - those are the three loaded in my 9.10. You can also type ubuntu software center into search and it shows it is also loaded on my machines. The latter (software center) is a great program for installing/uninstalling available programs in ubuntu.

If you're not finding any of these files on your machine, I'm at a loss - they're on all three of my separate machines.

9. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

I'm not getting any search results. :( Thanks for all the help, though.

I might just have to buy a usb wifi adapter that works with Linux out of the box...

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

ndisgtk...

...through Synaptic Package Manager.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!