1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find 1680 x 1050 in display settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jinggo78, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinggo78

jinggo78 Thread Starter

The Problem:
    First let me tell you what happened. My monitor has been working just fine from the day I bought it. A few days ago I turned off my computer the wrong way because it didn't load everything correctly. It wouldn't shutdown normally; it just hung there showing a blank screen to me. That's not the problem though. The problem is when I started Windows again my screen was at a weird resolution. At first I thought it was just some funky Windows thing and went to my display settings. For some odd reason the display setting for my 22" wide screen monitor should be set at wasn't there. The slider skips over 1680 x 1050 and goes to something else. The setting used to be there and now it's not.

My Question:
    How do I get my resolution back to normal? I currently have it on the one that looks closest to normal which is 1280 x 1024.

What I've tried already:
    I've tried reinstalling my video drivers but that didn't fix it. Unless I installed the wrong ones but I don't think I did. My monitor does not have drivers it uses "Display Data Channel (DDC) to send Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)" (quoted from the manual). I unplugged the cable from the computer (while it was off) and plugged it back in. I've tried rebooting my computer several times. I also went to the website of my monitor maker to try to see if I could find an answer. I sent their support team an email but they haven't emailed me back yet. I tried a system restore for a date that my monitor was at the right resolution but it still didn't work.

All help is appreciated. Please try to help in whatever way you can. If you need more info don't hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/708114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice