1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant find AppData folder

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Duke777, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duke777

Duke777 Thread Starter

I can't find the Application Data folder. I've checked the folder options settings to show hidden and system folders. How do I find the folder? I tried "Start" "Search" without success.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Mines at C:\program data/application data.
    You may need to change the access privileges.
    Mine says access denied.

3. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

It is also under "users - username", but it matters little. You cannot access it and should not attempt to. It is another junction folder and is there as a shortcut for backward compatibility purposes. The replacement folder is Appdat(which is accessible)
    Fwiw. But if you have unchecked that option, you should be able to see it?

4. Duke777

Duke777 Thread Starter

I have no folder C:\program data, only C:\program files and it is not there. Other suggestions?

5. Duke777

Duke777 Thread Starter

Davehc---
    Actually, I am trying to find a file- C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Folders\xxxxxxxx.default\persdict. But I cannot find AppData folder!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can view hidden folders, it should be where you are looking.

If it's not there, run regedit and check the registry locations which set its location:

For per-user special folders, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders
    For per-system special folders, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

Attached Files:

7. Duke777

Duke777 Thread Starter

I checked the registry and found both entries as you suggested. I checked the Control Panel Folder Options to be sure I am not hiding files. But I am still unable to find the AppData folder anywhere.

8. tech-win

tech-win

Click Start, and type the following:

%AppData%

Press ENTER.

This takes you to the Application Data folder. If it doesn't, what error do you get?

And, to access the LocalAppData folder (does not roam), use the following variable:

%LocalAppData%

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

In VBista it is not Application Data it is AppData and it is under "Users", Your name, but it is hidden folder and you must have Admin ability to be able to unhide it and see it.

10. Duke777

Duke777 Thread Starter

Tech-win-----
    I am able to view the two files without a problem using your suggestion. Thank you.

Rich -M----
    As you can see, I have found a method to view the AppData file. Apparently somehow I have a setting on my computer that is hiding the file. I only have one user account set up on the computer (Admin) so I assume when I look in Folder Options and click the box to show hidden files that that is all I have to do. So, I don't know why I can't make the folder visible, but I now have access, so I'll just file this in my pile of other unanswered computer mysteries. Thank you

11. tech-win

tech-win

You're welcome Duke777.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738590