1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant find backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bothar252, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bothar252

Bothar252 Thread Starter

I just did a system restore on my computer because the keyboard stopped working, the keyboard is fixed but now I can't find any of my files. I went through the steps on the backup and restore to put the saved system image back on my computer. This process took several hours and used up several hundred GB's but I cant find any of the files the. the repair place wants to charge more than the computer is worth please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Without any files there wouldn't be a system for you to boot into, so I assume you mean certain files. What files? How sure are you that those files were in the image at the time it was created?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A System Restore is not the same as System Image Recovery. System Restore reverts your system to a previous time and retains all your files. A System Image Recovery overwrites/deletes all your stuff and puts the system back to the exact state it was in when you ran that System Backup.

Do you have a proper backup with your data? On an external drive or a cloud backup?

4. Lanctus

Lanctus

As Triple6 said. That the process you described took hours to complete says a lot.

Does this screen look familiar?
    [​IMG]

You'll notice that System Restore and System Image Recovery are close together, but they do quite different things to your machine. The confusion lies in the fact you mentioned both in your post, but it sounds like you actually ran System Image Recovery.
    As Triple6 said, an Image Recovery overwrites/deletes your previous data. A different backup (if one exists) would be required to restore the info that was lost.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice