1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't find cd rom drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hmr516, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmr516

hmr516 Thread Starter

When I click the my computer icon on my desktop, the next screen doesn't show my cd rom. I also don't see it if I look in windows explorer. The cd rom opens and closes, but when I put a disk in, it does not start, and without seeing it in either my computer or windows explorer, I cannot manually start it. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be? Thanks.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

is this a cdrom that you installed, or was it already installed and working before?

check in device manager to see if it's there.

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Open the case to see that the ribbon cable is still connected to the board and the drive,pull it off and put it back on to both board and drive.
    If the drive is a new addition,be sure that the jumper is set correctly for "master",or "slave" for that IDE connection.
    Check your BIOS when the system starts to see that it is reading the drive as present.
    Let Windows load and check again to see if it is present under "My Computer"....

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

GwizJoe, not knowing if this is a new system, or one that has already been opened, could potentially void any warranties.

most likely the jumper is not set correctly, but we need to find out more about the system first.

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Good point about the warranty,but I assumed that it was not,since they brought the issue here.
    I know,I know..."assumed"...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice