1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find documents

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chloe2076, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chloe2076

Chloe2076 Thread Starter

I had to reformat a drive and through the network I moved documents to my computer. I thought that when the network was back up and running on his computer that I could just move the documents back to the computer they came from. I get a message on the folders I moved to my computer saying "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Bob's My documents.ink' refers to is not available. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and try again." The network is fine. I can see his computer and he can see mine. Have I lost these files for good?

2. Monk_

Monk_

It appears that you dont have a connection between the two machines. Be sure the folder is shared on your machine and connect to it through Network Neighborhood on Bob's machine and copy the files back that way.

3. Chloe2076

Chloe2076 Thread Starter

When I right click on the folder is doesn't give me a sharing option. I get the message I stated before if I try to open the folder. Could the problem be I did not save the files on to my computer, I just copied them to my desk top? And if I reformated his drive, which would delet the documents from his computer, I won't be able to access them if I did not save them to my computer. Is that right? I don't feel like there is anything wrong with the network itself, the connection is there.

4. angel

angel

So you can access your computer from his through Network Neighborhood, correct?
    Want to confirm this first.

Actually, it sounds like you accidentally created a shortcut on your computer to his documents instead of copying them. Did you drag the folder over the network? If so, the default is shortcut, not copy.

5. Chloe2076

Chloe2076 Thread Starter

Yes, I can access his computer.

Now that I think about it that is exactly what I did. They are a shortcut. Crap! And there is no way to get them back....

6. Monk_

Monk_

He may have them on floppy or on another network drive. Is his machine backed up?

7. Chloe2076

Chloe2076 Thread Starter

Didn't get that lucky! Nothing was backed up. Thanks Monk and Angel for your help. I appreciate it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice