1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find file!!!!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by migolfergirl, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. migolfergirl

migolfergirl Thread Starter

HI! I have a weird thing going on. If someone emails me a Word doc, and I open it, when I click SAVE and rename the file, it goes into a file called OLK149, which I cannot find. I USUALLY remember to go up the directory to MY DOCUMENTS and get the file saved there.

There is a very important doc saved into folder OLK149. I have searched every way I can think of (checking CHECK HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS, etc. etc.), and I cannot find this file.

The file hierarchy is this: C:/Documents and Settings/Deni/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/OLK149/the word doc I am trying to open.

Does anyone know anything about finding a way to retrieve this file?? I am STUMPED!!

THANKS SO MUCH for any help or insight you can offer. I'm about to throw this machine out the window!

:eek:

2. MRdNk

MRdNk

Is it in your previous open files history under Files?
    Or Start Menu - recent documents?

Alternatively have you tried just typing in that address (or copy and pasting) it into either your open document window (dialogue box), you can just put the full address in the File name: box.

Or even open a new open a new My Computer window, and typing that address (or copy and pasting it) into the address (at the top - where it says "My Computer").

Or have you found the folder, but no document?

3. MRdNk

MRdNk

Or try Search on the Start Menu.

4. migolfergirl

Bless you for trying to help me!!

It is not a recent file: no, it doesn't shoe in recent file or word doc history.

I can SEE the folder (but not open it) when I pretend I'm going to save a Word doc. When I press SAVE AS, and retype the name of the file, it wants to save it in this OLK149 file. If I forget to redirect it to save in My Documents, I'm sunk!

Am I answering your question??? I have run a search for the folder OLK149 (checking SEARCH HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS) and it doesn't find that folder OR the file. But it's there!! I can see it.

THANKS for trying....

Deni S.

5. computerman29642

computerman29642

Try This...

Click Start -> Run ->Copy and Paste "C:/Documents and Settings/Deni/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files" -> Click OK

When The Temporary Internet Files folder opens, then do this....

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show Hidden Files and Folders -> Click OK

Now see if the OLK149 Folder is visible, and if you are able to open the folder.

6. migolfergirl

All the files in there were either Cookie: or http:// etc.

Nothing that looked like a Word file....

<sob sob>

Great idea.... DARN!

7. computerman29642

computerman29642

So, were you able to see and open the OLK149 folder?

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Not a cure, but a remedy. I get thesame thing in XP at work, and couldnt find the damn folder anywhere. So I tried an alternative that works...
    If you save a file there, go back to another that will save there by default (emailed doc, or some such. If need be, mail yourself one). Then click save, and it goes to the olk folder. Now, DONT save anything. Scroll down the list of files till you find the one you need, right click on it, and COPY. Then cancel the save, go to desktop, right click and PASTE. Not a neat solution, but it does get the file somewhere you can use it. Hope its useful :)

9. computerman29642

computerman29642

The link below may be useful for you in the future. It explains how to change the default location to the "My Documents" folder when saving e-mails and attachments.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823131

10. migolfergirl

OMG!!! It worked! How ingenious of you!

THANK YOU THANK YOU for being such a BRAIN!!! It worked like the proverbial charm!!

Best,

Deni S.

11. computerman29642

computerman29642

I am glad that your issue as been resolved.

Please feel free to mark the thread as solved using the thread tools at the top of page.

12. manifestchaos

manifestchaos

I am having the same problem as the original poster, and I'm glad your solution worked for them, but when I try this it just prompts me to save the file to my desktop. I guess there is a default save folder set up in some manner. Is there any way for me to retrieve the file location of those temp files i Opened from an email and then saved from within Word?? In the Tempoary Internet Files folder, there are no sub folders visible, even when i enable hidden files & folders! please help

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice