1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find file!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by harleequinn, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleequinn

harleequinn Thread Starter

I had uploaded a MS Word document to an online storage site (JotSpot) so that I could work on it from another computer. When I got to the other computer, I opened the doc, and have been working on it for 3 days. I had previous versions of this document saved on the desktop saved under slightly different names. I kept clicking on "save" to make sure my work wasn't lost, as this is an 8 page doc with extensive work.

Well, I closed it and only then noticed it wasn't on the desktop as I thought. I did a search, it didn't come up. So I did a test - I opened a different document which I named "Findability.doc" from the online storage, and hit "save as"... and what automatically came up is:

documents & settings/my name/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/ContentIE.5/6RGV7WLS

(**a few other tries brought up a folder with a different alphanumerical configuration each time

So, I saved it. Then when I went to look in the location, it wasn't there! Did a search for "findability", wasn't there!

Where on earth is my document, how can I access it?

Of less importance: anyone know how to revert to a previous version of a document, is there a way to do that?

2. Pausebreak

Pausebreak

Have you tried logging into Jotspot to locate the document?

It appears Jotspot is a web-based WYSIWYG wiki program and not a dedicated word processor. So, if you worked on the document through your web browser, but saved it locally, it may have been saved to your IE cache.

If you are using Internet Explorer (and you have not deleted/cleared the cache), you could try using History Search. A free trial version can be downloaded from http://www.etopping.com/ie/historysearch/

It allows you to search for text in the IE cache (regular Windows searches may not search the cache). So if your article was about Hannibal, you'd enter Hannibal in the search box and if there were documents in the cache containing that word, they'd show up in the results.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice