Can't find hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lola2001

I have an extra storage drive on my system. To avoid erasing anything during a reformatt of drive c, I unplugged it. Reformatted C and then plugged it back in again. Now it's not showing up. I checked the connections and robooted several times but nothing so far. Not sure what I should do now.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can start by telling us the O/S you use, the type (brand/model) of external storage you're talking about, and how it's connected to the system.

lola2001

I'm using windows 2000 and I have an extra 80GB Maxtor hard drive attached inside my computer. I moved everything over to that drive while I reformatted the C drive, now I can't find it to put everything back. I installed the maxtor software and it's not detecting it either.

crjdriver

Is the drive being detected during bootup ie do you see both drives listed?

Have you checked disk management to see if your drive is listed? Was this a dynamic disk prior to the format?

crjdriver

If the drive is not being detected, enter the bios and see if the channel the problem drive is on is enabled and set to auto detect the device.
Do you remember if you used any Maxtor software to install the problem drive? Do you have any controller cards installed such as a promise card or a highpoint card?

lola2001

I do not have another system to try it on.

I checked bios already, it was set to auto so I changed it to HDD, rebooted, didn't work so I changed it back.

I do not have a promise or highpoint card.

Is not showing up in Device manager either.

ft.

Open your case and check to make sure the IDE and power cables are in, and the slave pins are set right.

lola2001

I checked the cables and everything is tight. I checked the pins on the drive and it's set for slave...as it always was. I disconnected and reconnected all power and data cables on both drives. Still nothing.

crjdriver

There is the possibility that the drive has died or you may have damaged the connector when you unplugged it. I would try another cable and boot with the mgfs utility / install disk. See if the utility can find the drive. If the drive is plugged into a standard controller and the utility cannot find it, you will need to pull the drive and connect it to another system and see if you can recover any data.

lola2001

No, can't hear (or feel) anything, I don't think it is spinning.

I will get another cable tomorrow and see if it works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online