1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chisox1976, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chisox1976

chisox1976 Thread Starter

I am installing a new hard drive on my pesario r3000 notebook intel computer. It is an ata drive and when I go to install windows the hard drive is not found. It says hit f3 to exit installation. I think I installed it correctly, so why can't it recognize the new hard drive. The hard drive is a hitachi travelstar 2.5

Not sure how to check the bios exactly but I did look and it seems that didn't recognize the drive either. This is the only drive I'm installing and I have installed one on my desktop but this laptop has me confused. Thanks if anyone can help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The only thing you should do to "install" a drive is to hook it up. Is this a second drive? Does it appear in Device Manager or Disk Management?

What procedure are you following?

3. chisox1976

exactly that is what i did, I just hooked it up to my laptop and the computer will not recognize the drive. The procedure I used was to put the hard drive in the case and the put the case back in the computer. when i go to install windows, it cant find the hard drive. Not sure how to get to device manager or disk management because windows isn't working. Also this is not a secondary drive.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Is it a SATA drive? If so, XP does not natively support the new SATA drives like Vista does.

Do you have a floppy drive (if SATA)?

5. chisox1976

no it is an ata drive

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. chisox1976

no, i think because I tried to test the drive and it said it couldn't find it or wouldn't allow me to.

8. Hughv

Hughv

9. chisox1976

my old hard drive was bad so I needed a new one. And there is no jumpers on the hard drive. I also made sure I didn't do it on carpet and touched metal before I did anything.

10. Hughv

Hughv

Check your install carefully. It's possible the drive is not fully seated to the IDE connection.
    It's not unheard of for a new drive to be faulty.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you give us the model of the drive (the number)? I'm still thinking SATA.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice