1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't find hard drives....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 202e, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 202e

202e Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm new here and would be very grateful for some (a lot) of help.

I had a very old computer that was having lots of problems (but I forget exactly what they were) so I got a newer computer. It worked fine when I got it. But I wanted to transfer some of my files from my old computer to my newer one. A friend, who has done this many times for his customers and family, tried to help but ended up just putting the old hard drive into my newer computer so that none of my files would be lost. He couldn't get rid of all the problems the old hard drive had.

The newer computer seemed to work ok for a couple of days but then suddenly seemed to revert to some ancient settings or something!!! Now I can't connect to the internet and I cannot find the 'new' hard drive that came with the newer computer! All I can see is the old hard drive which had been partitioned into 2 sections a long time ago(C & D).

How can I find all the hard drives on this newer computer?

How can I connect to the internet? When I try to connect I get this:
    "The port was disconnected by the remote computer". I have no idea what that means.

Thank you to anyone who can help.
    anoldlady (really)

2. bandit429

bandit429

Which windows is on the computer now?

3. 202e

202e Thread Starter

Both the old computer and the newer one use Windows 98.

I do not have a disk for the old computer but Ihave a disk for the newer one, but it is just a copy the guy gave us when we bought it from him. I do not have any serial numbers, etc.

I appreciate any help.

4. 1069

Your friend should have set the old HDD as a slave by moving the jumper to the correct position. (The litle white block in the attached pic is the jumper - it should be marked where the slave position is.)

Is this the case?

What happens if you remove the old HDD and boot up?

Attached Files:

• HDD.jpg
      HDD.jpg
      File size:
      14.9 KB
      Views:
  5. 202e

202e Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.

How do I find this HDD? What does it look like? I will try to find it and look at it but the image you posted isn't very clear as to where you mean the marking should be.

If you tell me step by step what to do I will do it and get back to you.

Thanks!

6. randyrayd

randyrayd

Not an answer, but maybe it'll help someone:

The computer worked a few days with the new HD which I'm sure was C drive. Now her partioned slave is listed as C and D. Shouldn't they be F and G or something down the line?

The jumpers had to be correct for things to have worked in the first place.

Randall

7. 202e

202e Thread Starter

HI,

I just wanted to correct something in my post. My husband said that the old computer was running Windows 95, not 98 like I said. But the newer computer was running windows 98. The friend was trying to update the old hard drive to windows98 I think. But, apparently, the computer reverted back to the windows95 settings for some reason.

I still don't know where to look for the old hard drive or to tell what it looks like or what the 'jumpers' are. Can anyone help me with this? I appreciate the replies I've gotten so far.

8. 1069

Hi,

If you have 2 HDDs in your case they should look like this: http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/features/hardware/howto/addaharddrive.html

(If you scroll down there are pics)

One will be the master and the other the slave.

If the system was working ok then you "lost" one of the drives it could be something as simple as a poor connection.

Switch the machine off and take the side panel off. You should see 2 HDDs like the photos in the link. The broad ribbon cables (grey in the photos) could be slightly loose - try both ends - press in FIRMLY to ensure that they are located properly.

Note - if you take the cable out it MUST go back in the correct way around - take a note of the position of the red edge to the cable.

Do the same with the power leads at the HDD end.

9. bandit429

bandit429

Hi 1069 ,,,,,,I would like to add to that....If you remove your cables from the 95 hard drive to see if the 98 boots alone may be of help.

10. 1069

Hi Bandit,

That would have been my next option :)

11. 202e

202e Thread Starter

Please don't run away, I will be back in a few days for your help!! I have a nasty virus on my one computer that I MUST get rid of quickly!!

Thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice