1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find how to hook up reader card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SergeantB, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

I bought a new Dell computer but it came without a reader card which I need seriously. I order a reader card to fit in my 3.5 bay but it came with a onboard usb connector but I have looked all across the board and it appears to not have the eight well seven prongs usb port on the board. It will be a nightmare to send this thing back. I would rather buy an adapter or something else that will allow me to use my reader card but don't know what to buy or even look for. Can someone please help me out with this?

SergeantB:eek:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Which model of Dell?

3. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

Dimension

4. norton850

norton850

What model Dimension?

5. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

I can't remember the model number. I am at work right now and it will be at least 4 hrs before I go home.

6. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

Is there another way on helping me hook up this card reader?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Without knowing the model number of your Dimension its hard to say if you have the header for the reader - you may have it but it may be used by the front USB ports. Dell doesn't always provide extra's like you'd find on a regular motherboard.

There are some PCI USB 2.0 cards with internal USB headers but they are hard to find.

8. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

anywhere I can start looking?

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

10. SergeantB

SergeantB Thread Starter

You my friend....ARE THA MANNN!!!!

Thanks

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The major problem I see with this card is the ALi chipset. That particular chipset sucks IMO, and I'll never let a card with that chip anywhere near any of my computers.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I haven't had much luck with ALI chipsets either, carried them for a while but ended up switching to NEC and VIA chipsets which work much better.

Last I looked for one with internal pins I only found one on some small U.S. site.

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Would this card (Based on NEC uPD720101) be a better choice ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8795614528&category=3753

Disclaimer: I am not promoting or vouching for any seller on e-bay. I am just suggesting that the item may meet your needs.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Can't see if it has the pins or just a USB connection internally - but you can buy a USB cable to go to the pins. Still all that costs money, and it may be possible to do this for free.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That card has the standard USB connector internally, there are many like that. It's also hopelessly overpriced, since you can have NEC based cards from www.newegg.com for around $8 and $5 shipping. You're also getting them from a place many of us trust. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501152