1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find "local settings" folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manwithcake, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manwithcake

manwithcake Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Using XP home edition, I'm trying to tweak my Chrome browser so I went looking for the installation folder. The properties dialogue in the shortcut tells me it's in "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe".

The problem is that I cannot find this folder. When I go to my D&S folder and open my "Owner" folder, there is no "Local Settings" folder. I have my system set up to show all folders, including hidden and system folders, so I know that isn't the problem.

I'm flummoxed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Did you also uncheck Hide protected operating system files?

To change View Settings to show hidden/system files:
    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
    Check the following:

• Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
    • Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the following:

• Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
    • Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
    • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

3. manwithcake

Thanks for the welcome and reply. My view settings are precisely what you suggest. I located the Chrome folder by doing a search for "local" and indeed, the folder shows up in search results, just not in explorer. I'd prefer to see it show up in explorer.

In addition, after some experimentation, several folders are not showing up in explorer that do in fact show up in search results.

Still flummoxed.

4. manwithcake

Here's another curious thing: I have free commander installed, though I only use it on certain occasions. It does show the "local settings" folder, as well as the others not appearing in explorer.

This is a work-around that will suffice, though I'd prefer to learn the problem with explorer.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That is odd. Might want to take a look at the desktop.ini file in the root of the Local Settings folder.
    Here's a trick to getting to that folder directly.
    Click Start | Run, type "%Userprofile%\Local Settings", press Enter

The desktop.ini file should contain only these two lines:
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    [email protected],-21774
    If it has a line that starts with UICLSID=, that might keep it hidden in Windows Explorer.

I'm thinking there is something else that can do this, but can't recall at the moment, will have to do some digging see if I can remember/find it.

6. manwithcake

Thanks again for the reply. My desktop.ini file contains exactly the same as you indicate and nothing more. It is puzzling, isn't it?

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

8. manwithcake

Amazingly, at least to me, this did the trick! Now, why would there be hidden folders still lurking when I've chosen to show all hidden folders within Explorer's view properties?

At any rate, thanks for the tip.(y)

9. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're welcome.
    Unticking that changed the attribute of the folder. If you choose to not show hidden folders, that one is now a normal folder and should remain visible. It won't affect it's function, just it's accessibility.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice