Can't find modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Diana Rogers

I have a Power Mac 6500. Recently I defraged the hard drive and then had to reinstall the system software. I then had to reinstall AOL. Now, the AOL software tells me that it cannot find my modem. Since it is an internal one, I can't figure out how to get the machine to recognize it. I have checked the control panels and extensions ... all seems O.K.

Moving to the MAC forum, redirect will still be here, hopefully you will get a better response

I am having a similar problem with my IBM compatible. The computer was built from scraps and purchased secondhand, so I have no idea if there is an internal switch I need to flip or what. All I know of it is that it is made by Ambient tech.

Can anyone help me????

You should have a dialer on that machine. Either OTPPP (Remote Access) or FreePPP. Have you tried either of those? IT could just be something easy like changing the modem in the modem CP, or adding a new modem script. I believe there is a way to change the modem script in the AOL software.
Since you have a 6500, your modem should be a GV 28.8...? Or Gold? At any rate, if you can change the modem script, try AT&FW2. If you have a Modem CP, try changing it to a Farrallon Netopia 56k. then try dialing out using your other dialer. If it dials, you know you modem works, and its the AOL software thats on the blink.
--Adam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online