Can't Find "Paint" in Windows 7

Vettepartz

I know that I am outdated by still running Windows 7, but I have a problem trying to get MS Paint. I thought it would be under "accessories" but I don't see it there. I have something that looks like the program in my task bar, and it comes up when I select it. However if I try to open something from the clipboard, it only shows a greyed out option for the clipboard. I am trying to do a screenshot.

Couriant

James
The quickest way I open Paint on Windows 10 is going to the run menu (windows key+R) and type paint and press enter. For Windows 7 it may be mspaint.

What do you mean by opening from the clipboard? What is the steps are you doing to get to that point?

Vettepartz

I am trying to get a screenshot. When I have the screen up that I want to save, or see, I hold down the Windows button and then press the "Prnt Scr" key. If I understand right, this should save the screen image to the clipboard. Am I wrong here? When I call up Paint and use the open button, it shows nothing to open from the clipboard.

managed

Allan
You don't hold the Windows key down, just press PrintScreen key alone to put the whole screen onto the clipboard, holding down Alt then pressing PrintScreen puts the current Window onto the clipboard.

Vettepartz

When I call up Paint, I have a box in the upper left which says paste. When I click on it, I get another window with 2 options showing. The first says paste and shows the clipboard, but this is greyed out and is not selectable. Maybe there is nothing on the clipboard. The other option is selectable and says 'paste from' but does not have the clipboard. I tried going to a jpg picture that I have stored elsewhere on the computer and selected it and hit copy, thinking this would put it on the clipboard. Now using Paint I still cannot get it to open by using paste.

Couriant

James
You don't hold the Windows key down, just press PrintScreen key alone to put the whole screen onto the clipboard, holding down Alt then pressing PrintScreen puts the current Window onto the clipboard.
Oh I missed that part!

So for screenshots, you can do the following:

Press PrntScreen and it will take a screenshot of all active screens (so it will be huge if you have 3 monitors... like I do haha)

Press ALT+PrntScreen and it will take a screen shot of the active program that you have selected.

Windows key+PrntScreen actually takes a screenshot and creates a file and saves it in the users profile > Pictures > Screenshots folder. It would be successful if you see the screen dim while you press this combo.

Note: If you have a modern keyboard, like Dells do, you may have a Fn key. If you have this key and the PrntScreen is also the same colour text as the Fn key, then you will also need to hold down the Fn key with the over key combinations. Same for laptops.

Sorry for poor picture/ for reference:

1637804327124.png

Windows 7 should have Snipping Tool which may be more better in your case. You just highlight the area you need a screen shot of and then simply paste the capture.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I agree. Using Windows 7's built-in Snipping Tool is the quickest and easiest way to capture a screenshot.
I couldn't do without it, and I use it several times every day.

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
I agree. Using Windows 7's built-in Snipping Tool is the quickest and easiest way to capture a screenshot.
I couldn't do without it, and I use it several times every day.

-------------------------------------------------
I still do with Win10 lol

Vettepartz

Maybe this has been brought up before, but is there any way other than MSPaint to view what is stored on your clipboard?

Couriant

James
Windows key + V will show you the history (if not turned on it will prompt you) but it's not that big.

Any program should as long it has a paste function, like Word, E-Mail, even browsers with text input like I did with the keyboard picture.

Having said that, if you are doing the Windows Key + PrntScreen then you will use the default image viewer/editor or if you have another program to edit/view. You should be seeing the folder by typing in the File Explorer address %userprofile%\Pictures\ and then you should see the Screenshots folder for your login/user account or in the Open box in Paint:

1637857944612.png

1637858037190.png

plodr

Liz
Unlike XP, the clipboard cannot be viewed in Windows 7. You need a copy of clipbrd.exe from an XP computer. It is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32. Copy it into the same folder in Windows 7 and to run it, click the Windows Orb (Start), type clipbrd and press Enter.
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-7/3bf718eb-5c47-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

I've used for decades a small clipboard program called Ditto. I can store up to 100 items. When I click the tray icon, I can scroll through everything that is stored on that replacement for clipboard.
info: https://ditto-cp.sourceforge.io/index.php

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.