1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mama, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mama

mama Thread Starter

We just bought a new Server with Microsoft Server 2003 os. I set it up today. The factory said they would partition the drive for me and I am sure they did but I can't see the second drive. I see only C:\, D: cd rom and A:\
    I am new to 2003 and need to know before Monday morning if possible. can someone suggest how to access the partition?
    Thanks

2. downtime

downtime

Right click my computer, choose manage. Open Disk Management, you'll find details on partitions and sizes. You may have to assign it a drive letter, I did an install yesterday where I had to assign letters to two other hard drives in the machine. It's only the second Server 2003 install I've done, the first was an upgrade, so I can't tell you yet if it's that way by default.

3. mama

mama Thread Starter

Thank you for such a quick reply, I did as you said but I only see c:\, no partitions so I am not sure how to get to the extended partition to assign a letter. Could it be that the extended partition didn't get formatted when they installed the os? I am just grabbing at straws. But thanks for your help.

4. dcramer

dcramer

Have you tried to go into fdisk and see if you can see it in there?

5. Lance1

Lance1

Partition magic is the best tool for finding, fixing and creating partitions. If it isn’t in disk management the partition isn’t there. With Partition magic you can change the size of the primary partition and set the drive letter.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is Diskmgmt not showing any free space? Could you post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc.

7. mama

mama Thread Starter

Thank you everyone, I tried again this morning to use diskpart the disk showed disk 0, primary partition 112gb 34 gb (next column, I don't remember what it was called) it had 0 free space. The size of the hard drive is 120 gb.I tried to create a extended partition and I got an error. I worked with it until I had to stop and just go with the drive without the extended partition.
    I was hoping to put our accounting program on the extended partition. As I said I just installed the computer and have no experience yet with windows 2003. I think they forgot to create the partition at the factory when they installed the OS. again thanks to all

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Any reason why you cant post a screen shot of diskmgmt.msc.

9. mama

mama Thread Starter

I am writing this from my home. The server in question is at my job. I will try to get a shot tomorrow for you.
    Thanks

10. mama

mama Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone.
    I wasn't able to get much time on the server but did do a quick pntscn
    c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator...name of computer...Diskpart

Diskpart> List Disk
    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    ----------- -------- ------ ------ ----- ----
    Disk 0 On line 112 GB 0 B
    Everything is working ok so I guess I will get by with just the one partition. I was under such a short time frame I didn't have much choice.
    Thanks for trying to help

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice