1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't find SETUPEXE.DLL

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by carouselbabe, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carouselbabe

carouselbabe Thread Starter

Hello there; been struggling to reinstall my HP printer after internet problems, (with help from HP support) but on trying to reinstall, got the message "Windows can't find SETUPEXE.DLL. The printer won't install properly, and I'm sure this is the cause. I'm beginning to think that this setup file might have gone AWOL when I uninstalled Google desktop a few days ago.
    Is it safe to try and put the missing file back, and if so, how?
    I don't really want to put Google desktop back, as my AV prog (Kaspersky) keeps throwing up messages about it.
    Thanks!

2. Orumph

Orumph

just out of curiosity. Have you tried running a Spybot scan?

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Also, have you tried re-downloading the software for your printer?
    Disable kaspersky when installing the software? Then re-enable it after.

After some more digging.. I did find a couple references to the file from very old posts on this forum.

You can try running System File Checker, you may need the Vista install disk.

3. carouselbabe

Oh, thanks very much for coming to the rescue! I've been trying to sort it out all morning, and the printer itself is now correctly installed, I'm sure - to cut a long story short it seemed to be a Vista compatability issue, and it reinstalled with compatible settings.

BUT - it still isn't working, and it's just the driver software issue now. Every time I switch the computer off and on again, it invites me to install the driver software for it, says it's installed and the printer is ready for use - but it still doesn't print. It obviously isn't installing, because it's not there on reboot.

Do you thing that Kaspersky is stopping it? I've had to temporarily switch it off before.....

4. Orumph

Orumph

Try it.

What model printer is it?

5. carouselbabe

Well, disabling the AV didn't make any difference! The printer is an HP 5550 series. Old but v good. But now the problem is SOLVED! The HP support eventually came up with the right solution, which turned out to be installing the printer through the Add Hardware button, as the CD didn't install it compatably after all, clearly. Nearly two solid days!!!! Don't you just love computers! Thanks again for your help; I did install Spybot and run it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice