1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find shared printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nitro237, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

OK, here's the deal.

My friend had a XP desktop connected to a wireless router. He was sharing his printer that was connected to desktop. His personal laptop running xp worked fine , used the printer connected to desktop fine.

His company issued laptop running xp also connected to the internet fine, but can not find the shared printer.

He got a new desktop running vista basic. He shared the printer and his personal computer connected fine and found printer no problem.

The company laptop connected to internet fine, but can not find the shared printer. The company laptop does have a different workgroup name, since it is used at work ( a large business) but this had never been a problem before???

How can I get his company laptop to find the shared printer?

TIA

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If he can't browse to the printer in Network Places, can he access shared files on the machine with the printer?

3. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I'm not sure, I don't think so. I am going back over there tonight. The company laptop connects to a big corp network domain when at work, could this be the problem? But the laptop did find the printer before replacing the desktop.

When I was trying to find network printer , it couldn't find anything under "workgroup" which the desktop is on.

4. JohnWill

Well, I'd remove the laptop from the mix and see if you can get the other stuff running. When you're there, please do this for each machine.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also, try pinging the machine with the printer from the other machine(s) and tell us the results.

5. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion, everything is working fine except for the company laptop not finding the shared printer. It goes to the internet fine.

The personal laptop goes to internet and finds the shared printer.

6. JohnWill

Can the company laptop access any shared resources? Can it see anything in Network Places? Is there a firewall installed for company use that could be blocking access? Can you ping to the company laptop, and from the company laptop to the machine with the shared printer?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the work laptop is in a domain (probably) or in a different workgroup, My Network Places is not gonna work so well. On the work laptop try

Start - Run - \\Desktop - OK

where "Desktop" is the IP address or Computer Name of the desktop. With luck (may take a minute) the result should be a Windows Explorer window with the desktop's shares. Right click on the printer and select 'connect.'

If the work laptop is using a Virtual Network, it may not be able to access the LAN at the same time.

8. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I will have to check when I get back over there. It just seems crazy it worked fine with the old desktop.

9. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Hey Terry, when I type

Start - Run - \\Desktop - OK

do I need to replace Desktop with the name of the desktop or type it exactly as you have it. The desktop is named "LivingRoom".

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use the actual name: LivingRoom.

If the name is not found, use the IP address instead.

And do not forget or ignore the two back slashes \\ ! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice