1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't find source of unresponsive Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melodiesonmusic, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melodiesonmusic

melodiesonmusic Thread Starter

Hello,

I turned on my laptop running windows 8 and the backlight lit up but there was no display. I could hear it turning on and the indicator light came on. When connected to an external monitor, the display was just fine. I did some research, opened it up and disconnected and reconnected a few things (which I do often) and closed it back up. When I tried to turn it on this morning it was unresponsive. When connected to the ac adapter the charging light will turn on but the power button does not turn the laptop on. I desperately need this laptop for school, it's beyond it's warranty and I don't have the money to get it serviced. If I can find the source of the problem I'm open to replacing said part as long as it's not more expensive than sending it out to Toshiba.

I've since taken the entire thing apart. The only things connected are the motherboard and CPU, both of which I've taken out and cleaned (fan was gross but I digress). I'm handy enough to be able to put it back together correctly and I know the basic parts, but I was hoping that someone could walk me though some troubleshooting as I put it back together. Or if that's not how it's done, maybe someone can help me take it apart in the right order to isolate the problem part once I get it back together.

I have high hopes that it can work again (as it was powering up just fine a couple days ago with the exception if the display problem) I'm just not sure how to go about getting it back to that point.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What exact model Satellite is it ? Should be on a label underneath.

3. melodiesonmusic

Sorry, it's an l55t-A5290.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks, nice looking laptop.

Does this look the same as yours ? :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs8VXnVraJE

All I can suggest is to double-check all the connectors are properly seated in their sockets and try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the Bios.

You may have to re-assemble it completely to test, sometimes without all the screws in connections inside can be poor or earthing/grounding contacts aren't good.

5. melodiesonmusic

Yup, pretty much. I removed the cmos when I took everything else out. I have 2 desktops at home, do you think any part of those could aid me in at least getting some sort of response out of it?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm afraid not. Desktop hardware won't fit into a laptop.

Try it with the battery out. Also try pressing the power button for 30 seconds before you try to turn it on.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice