1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant find system clock setting in Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C5John, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C5John

C5John Thread Starter

Hello, I've recently installed WinXP on an older Compaq (P2, 350mz, 256mb ram). Yes I know its supposedly under the minimum requirements. But believe it or not it runs pretty good. My problem is that I want to change the system clock but cant find the system clock setting in the Bios. Does anybody know how to change the system clock on an older Compaq like this? Thanks, C5John

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you mean the time/date? That's normally on the main BIOS page.

3. C5John

C5John Thread Starter

Yes, I mean the time/date. I checked the main bios page and everywhere I could go in the Bios and I cannot find any refernce to setting the time or date. Thats the problem. I have a new computer too, and I can find it in that ones bios, but the older one is totaly different screen for the Bios and I just cant find the system clock setting. Again, its an older Compaq Presario pentium 2.

ps. The reason for the duplicate was because I wasnt sure which was the appropriate catagory to post it in. Sorry, I'm not all that proficient in using forums.

4. JohnWill

Well, since I don't have one to look at, it's hard to say. You can download a boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com and boot into MS-DOS. Use the TIME and DATE DOS commands to set the clock, they're also written to the MB clock chip. I presume the object of the exercise is to set the MB clock, right?

5. C5John

C5John Thread Starter

Yes that is the object. I will try the bootdisk thing, although I'm not proficient at using DOS. Thanks.

Ps. did you notice the ps. in my previous post? I edited it into post, but possibily after you read it.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Wouldn't setting the date and time shown in the XP task bar (or the Date & Time control panel) set the clock on the motherboard to the same date and time?

7. JohnWill

Yep, I wasn't sure that XP was installed totally, I should have asked. :)

8. C5John

C5John Thread Starter

I thought the internal clock in the Bios and the clock on the taskbar were two different entities. If not, I guess I just learned something else.

9. JohnWill

The O/S clock setup also sets the MB clock chip.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    yes setting the windows time will update the bios clock time. How ever if the cmos battery wont keep the time wen you shut the computer down the windows time will have to be reset eachtime you shut down and restart.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice