1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Find Third Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by santacruzer, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. santacruzer

santacruzer Thread Starter

I have installed a third hard drive. It is a WD160GB internal hard drive on an Adaptec Ultra ATA 1233 Card. It does not show up in “My Computer” or “Computer Management”. It does however show up in “Device Manager” as WDC WD16 00JB-00GVAO SCSI DISK DEVICE.
    If I relocate the drive or card to a different location (I have 3 spare PCI slots) “found new hardware” will come up and I can access the drive until I reboot, then it goes away again.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. winbob

winbob

What happens if the 160gb DRIVE is installed on an onboard IDE Controller??

Is it recognized correctly?

Can you access it...see any data?

I think the problem is with the controller card. I have a Promise Ultra 100 card. I was just rereading the manual.

Did you install the Driver Software PRIOR to installing the Card???

Does the BIOS msg for the card show up during PC boot up?

3. santacruzer

If it is installed on the IDE controller it shows up fine. I can write to it and access data.
    If I move the cable to the secondary spot on the card it will show up upon reboot and I can access it until I reboot again. Then it only shows up in Disk manager until I relocate it again.
    I just uninstalled every thing and reinstalled it to no avail.
    The card installs fine and shows up on the control panel and in device manager.

4. winbob

winbob

How about my last 2 questions?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    check computermanagement|storage devices|hard drives to see if it shows up. It may be nothing more than the drive letter being disabled.

Try downloading TweakUI from the microsoft website. It will give you options to change things like drive letter availability easier than Windows will.

6. santacruzer

After I unistalled everything I tried installing the software first. Adaptecs instructions call for the card to be installed then the drivers. There was nothing on the installation CD to install until I installed the Card itself.
    It does not show up in BIOS at reboot.
    Just to go over it again: If I move the card to another slot, upon reboot it will find new hardware and install it. It then wants me to reboot to finish installation. If I don't reboot I can access the drive, see it in my computer: everything looks right. When I reboot it has disappeared again. It will show up in Device Manager and it says it is working properly. It does say that it can not find the correct driver for it however.

7. winbob

winbob

I do believe that the controller card has its own 'mini' BIOS, and that you should see a msg at startup refering to it.

I do not know why you are not.

I suggest that you try: http://www.adaptec.com/

and go through their SUPPORT contacts.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice