Can't find WPA2 pass phrase fo Linksys router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moondog99

First and foremost I am not a computer person but I am having a problem. I bought a XBOX for my grandson and want to connect it to the internet for him. It wont connect without a WPA2 pass phrase. I tried entering 192.168.1.1 to access the router but it wont go though. I contacted Linksys and of course they said my router needed to be reconfigured at a cost. Can anyone help me to find out what the WPA2 pass phrase is so I can get this done for my grandbaby before he drives me crazy. Please keep it simple because I am a simple man. Thanks guys!

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi moondog99, and welcome to TSG.

Assuming you are on a computer running some version of Windows, get to the DOS / Command Prompt screen and enter IPCONFIG . You should get a short report that will show a Gateway address IP address. Enter that address in your web browser address bar.

That should get you a log-in prompt. Unless the password has been changed, try admin of the user name and leave the password blank.

If that gets you to the main administration page, you will need to navigate to the page that shows the wireless settings for the SSID and Encryption key (passphrase).

If you need more specific information, you will need to give us specific information on your computer's operating system and the exact model number and revision number for the Linksys router.

moondog99

Hi moondog99, and welcome to TSG.

Assuming you are on a computer running some version of Windows, get to the DOS / Command Prompt screen and enter IPCONFIG . You should get a short report that will show a Gateway address IP address. Enter that address in your web browser address bar.

That should get you a log-in prompt. Unless the password has been changed, try admin of the user name and leave the password blank.

If that gets you to the main administration page, you will need to navigate to the page that shows the wireless settings for the SSID and Encryption key (passphrase).

If you need more specific information, you will need to give us specific information on your computer's operating system and the exact model number and revision number for the Linksys router.
That is where I run into a problem. I just got through doing what you said and it does not recognize the IP address that came up. It came up as 192.168.33.1 but no such luck. Is there a way to change the without going through Linksys and still have everything work correctly through the router or get a complete list of all the IP address Linksys uses. I would go through them all if I had too. The router is a E1000 and I am using Windows Vista home premium and or Windows7 depending on which computer I am at if that will help.

TerryNet

Terry
On your Vista or Windows 7 connected to the router the Default Gateway is 192.168.33.1, but when you enter that into a browser's address bar you get an error message instead of the router's login screen?

moondog99

Got it fixed by unplugging the router for a while and reconnecting it, which reset the default IP address. Then changed all of the numbers to match what the computer said and whalla! Thanks guys!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online