1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kgbj, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

I have been having lots of trouble with my pc. everything from ati drivers to pop ups on my screen. I just tried to reformatt my hard drive and it says Windows was not able to complete the fomat. What do you do now when you just want to redo your computer. I also can not boot with the xp professional cd. It also says that it can't find my hard drive. HELP. :eek:

2. norton850

norton850

Please give details about your system.

3. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

okay it is a microsoft xp professional, version 2002, service pack 2
    amd athlon xp 2500+ 1.83 GHz 1.00 GB ram. My hard drive says its a Wdc Wd12 -00jd-00gbbbO scsi disk
    hl-dt st cd rom and HL-Dt-ST Dvd ram I use ati drivers for the 9600. I have been having trouble with ati lately. I have posted in hard ware about this issue in jan 04/08 around. I also put a hijack log in that 200 people have looked at but have not replied. (?) If you need to know anything else please let me know
    Thank you for your help

4. norton850

norton850

How (or from where) are you trying to format Windows?

I'm guessing that you have a SATA drive since Windows will ID them as SCSI. I can't tell from that drive ID. Windows sometimes requires installation of SATA drivers (the press F6 message when you boot from the CD) otherwise it won't see the SATA HD.

Can't help with the log. I actually was beginning to "learn" so I could do them, but it's the strangest thing. Malware University one of the training sites seems to be blocked by my IPS. It's the only site that is blocked. Wish I could figure that out.

5. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

I just went and right clicked the c: drive and picked format. made sure everything was right in the different boxes and said okay.

Thanks anyways with the log. I really appreciate your time and patience as I have run out and have almost lost all my hair. lol I will try to do the f6 at the cd
    Thanks

6. norton850

norton850

Windows (understandably so) won't let you reformat the drive that you are using while you are still in Windows. At F6 you need to have drivers on a floppy to load.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can't formast C from within XP, you have to boot up from the CD and do a clean install, that's as long as you don't want to keep anything on C.

8. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

Okay I tried the f6 and it did not work I just went into the bios and changed the hdd to cdd to start first I put the xp cd in and still it comes up with a error message saying it can't find my hd. I was told that if I started this way I could format the hard drive. My hd is a Western Digital (Sata). What am I suppose to do. My friend that built the pc for me a few yrs ago said to put the sata cd in but i can't find that. Is there somewhere I could get this cd online and download it maybe. Is there an easier way to get my computer done. I just want to start from the beginning to have a clean hard and pc.

9. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

I can't even get into the clean install

by the way "managed" I love your quote first smile in a few days thanks

10. norton850

norton850

Did you load the drivers from a floppy at the F6 prompt?

11. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

I don't have anything on floppy and I have looked every where for the sata disc. is there something I can do to put these drivers on a floppy and load from there and how would i get these drivers

Thanks again.

12. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

Thanks norton850 I must have read your post to fast so i would like to apologize for wasting some of your time, I was thinking your were talking about the xp cd not the actual driver cd for the hd. so i am stuck due to I don't know where the cd went. I moved 3 yrs ago to a small town and it must be still packed in a box in storage. I am hoping someone has an answer to where i might be able to get these drivers on line

Norton850 thanks again. =)

13. norton850

norton850

If your system is a brand look on their web site. If not you need to go to your MB manufacturer's site.

14. jazz3000

jazz3000

Is your Bios settings set to the Default or Manufactures Settings? Your Boot Sequence settings set to 1st Boot CD, second HD?
    Have you placed the CD OSxp in the Drive and booted while simultaneously tapping your space bar to by pass the configuration to get to the CD OS?
    It sure sounds like you found a virus or trojan out there that's effecting the system, and I'm not so sure your Bios might not have been effected as well.
    Let us know...Jazz

15. kgbj

kgbj Thread Starter

Hello,

I have posted a hijack log a few days ago cause I was thinking the same thing. No one has taken a look at it (well over 200 have looked at it but no response). It is the one that says "frustrated" as the tittle. If you know how to look at them please do. If not thanks for your help. I can use all I can get at this time.
    I had the bios at cd then hd but have changed it back since nothing was working. If I do what you have said and I am able to format the hd and reinstall the os xp will I need the sata cd for the hard drive to continue.
    I could use all the help I can get at this point of frustration. Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice