1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't format new hard drive..or old one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pradhan, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I have been experiencing instability on a system running XP-Media. It is about 3 years old and decided to clean it out, restoring back to the manufacturer's (HP) original image. After doing this Windows remained unstable...rebooting seemingly at random, so I decided to do a totally fresh install from a legitimate XP Pro disk...

As XP Pro is installing, it seeks to format the hard drive to NTFS (either quick of full, as you know), after which I get a message
    "Unable to format hard drive. Partition may be damaged, etc"

I tried many times, deleting partition, reducing its size, etc, all with the same results. Aha! I figure...the problem was that the hard drive was bad. So, I go and buy a spanking new hard drive (WD 160 Gig).

Then, when formatting for XP Pro...SAME PROBLEM on the brand new drive. When formatting, (quick or full), it proceeds to 100% seemingly okay and then returns the error. Any idea what might cause this? Of course, at todays prices, I am ready to just get another box, but my inquisitive mind is wondering what is going on?

Thanks,
    Pradhan

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi pradhan

You should always test a hard drive before replacing it. You can load diagnostic tools from here.

http://support.wdc.com/

Your problems could also be due to bad memory or a weak power supply. You can find free memory tests on the web also. Good luck.

3. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Thanks...I did test the RAM. I'll retest the old hard drive. Fortunately a new hard drive is only a few bucks nowadays.

Happy New Year.
    Pradhan

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would tend to think you have a failing board or pw supply.
    Before changing any parts, I would give the board a very close inspection with a bright light. Look for any leaking/bulging/discolored or mal-formed capacitors on the board. If you find any, you have found the problem. If you do not find any, you can swap in a known working pw supply to test.

5. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check out the board today. May I ask a question? Just curious...why might the power supply cause a format failure?

Thanks for your time.
    Happy New Year
    Pradhan

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Fluctuating voltage makes the system unstable/gives errors.

7. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

You could also have a bad cable, have you tried swapping this out?

i.e. if it is IDE, swap the IDE connector for anothe, or if it is SATA, swap that cable out.

8. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I re-seated the cable but did not swap it out. Interestingly- the re-seating of the cable allowed the format to proceed, so it might definitely be cable related.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    Pradhan

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Keep an eye on it. Have occasionally seen that actually be a problem with the hard drive. The symptom is that the cable at the hard drive end regularly needed to be reseated. Swapping with known working cables didn't solve the problem.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good point. I thought he had done this already however I reread the post and he did not. I think it was another thread I was working on where the cable was swapped.

11. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I did not swap out the cable. I couldn't imagine the cable just "going bad," but of course, for the cable, as in life...nothing is permanent.

Thanks for all your help and advice--
    Pradhan

12. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Cables can just go bad, i kid you not!

Glad you got it working.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice