1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't format partition after XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jjs062179, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjs062179

jjs062179 Thread Starter

I have recently clean installed XP onto my older Compaq. The windows upgrade test (from 98 to XP) said I would have no problems with hardware compatibility.

I have two partitions: the C and D drive. XP installed on C and formatted it to NTFS, no problems. But when I click on my D drive in XP, it is now RAW. When I go to try to format it to NTFS, it will crash and then nothing (not even my C drive) is accessable without booting up with the XP disk and reinstalling the OS.

Should I try to delete both of the partitions and combine them into one and hope that when XP is reinstalled and does the format to NTFS that it works? The D drive is about 11GB that I would hate to just have as unusable...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Being that this is an hp computer, do you have any hidden partitions on the disk? Were these partitions created with something like partition magic?

If you do not have anything you need on the partition in question, then I would delete all partitions with setup; then have setup create one partition. If you want more than one, just use the backspace key to type in a smaller value. You will use disk management to create and format the rest of the disk.

3. jjs062179

jjs062179 Thread Starter

I don't believe there are any hidden partitions, it only comes up with the two during XP install. They were created when I first got the computer about 4 years ago, I believe right away when windows 98 was installed. I backed up everything before I upgraded to XP so losing data is not a big deal.

I will definitely give this a try, but I'm still skeptical since reformatting this partition through the xp install disk and through disk management has been unsuccessful for me. Could there be something else wrong with my hard drive, like any incompatibility issues? It is a Maxtor 33073H4.

Thanks for the reply.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would not hurt to check the hd. Download and run Maxtor's utility for checking the disk. You can download it on Maxtor's site. You might want to download memtest also. Both of these will run from bootable floppies; no need for an os to be installed.

5. jjs062179

jjs062179 Thread Starter

I tried one more time last night to format the drive through XP disk management - and it WORKED! I loaded a few software programs on it, rebooted, loaded some more, rebooted... and everything appears to be running normal. ???!!

So am I sitting on something that's going to crash on me in about 2 days? Was this whole ordeal just a crazy fluke?? I am scared to do any sort of hd checking or memtest for fear it will get mad at me again and i'll have to start all over again!!

6. bobol

bobol

Phoning tech support at HP should tell you if you do have that hidden partition pre-set up.

7. jjs062179

jjs062179 Thread Starter

I guess I don't understand the hidden partition thing. Is it just that you think there could be errors on this partition that are affecting my other partitions or is it just a bad thing in general to have a hidden partition?

8. jdleaaco

jdleaaco

mmm maybe you need to use and third-part software, like partition magic or other, to check your hard disk partitions.
    I have one problem like it a long time ago, i fix it booting with a boot able floppy or CD with Win98, and with always effective fdisk can delete and make a new partition.
    But if you don't want a lose your information (formating) I suggest to use partition magic or other partition software.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice