1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Format USB Drive - Write Protected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robsy128, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

Hey all :)

I've been searching on Google for the past hour and I can't find any answers to this whatsoever. I'm trying to get into the USB disk (8GB). The make is Verbatim.

When I try to open the USB stick, it says that I need to format the disk before I can use it. So I try formatting it through Windows, but it fails, telling me that it's write protected.

I've tried looking under disk management (which tells me that it has a healthy primary partition). I've tried downloading the HP tool, which fails as it still tells me that the disk is write protected. I've tried downloading the famous Repair.zip file (which loads of people recommend on Google), yet it throws an error code saying: "preformat not supports this ic".

I've also tried going into command prompt and deleting the partition, but that doesn't work either. I really don't know what to do with this any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks! :)

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That's usually the tell tale sign that it's toast. I once spent half a day using every command prompt and tool out there to no avail. One major cause of failure with them is not using the safely remove option when removing them.

3. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

That's ridiculous... I've spent years pulling stuff out without safely removing the hardware. l've only just recently bought this as well, which is even more irritating. Is there no way to recover it at all? It's been sitting on a shelf ever since I bought it. I used it once and that was just to make sure it was working.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

No it's not ridiculous, it's a fact. I'll leave you to it.

5. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I mean it's ridiculous how I've only just bought the thing and it's already toast. That's like buying a brand new Aston Martin and finding out that the engine won't start.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

If new it should have warranty I'd imagine. I've seen those usb sticks crap out without warning. Did it work when you first used it?

7. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

It did. And I can't see how it would have gone wrong when it has just been sitting on a shelf for the past 2-3 months.

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

If their not set in Windows for quick removal and you removed it without safely removing it, then that`s all it can take. If Windows was doing something with it in the background and it gets yanked out, it can ruin them. See if you can return it for an exchange if it`s not that old or contact the manufacture.

9. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I suppose so. I just can't see how I've just pulled out every single USB device I've ever used without ever using the 'safely remove hardware' tool, yet I do it once and this one USB stick seems to go bang.

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I'm not saying 100% that's what caused it, just it's a known cause. I always use the safely remove hardware on mine and it's 4 years old, used every day.

11. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

With the drive plugged in, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc Right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window, if you see your Flash drive there, highlight the partition/volume and right click it and choose to Delete Volume or go up to the tool bar and press the X. Now right click the Unallocated Space and create a new Simple Volume. Format it FAT32. . If this doesn't work then it has failed.

13. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

At the moment my Disk Management window is stuck on 'Loading disk configuration information...' so I'm waiting for that to load up (even though it's been like it for the past 15 minutes) :/

14. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Any kind of a drive can go without warning even if its brand new. a usb is no different than a hard drive.i had 3 brand new seagate 160 gb hard drives die on me. i took them back and they were replaced with WD which to me is a much better hard drive.i use sandisk and kingston flash drives and have had no problems so far.i even use them in my cars to play music and they get a lot of use but still work just fine.

15. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

In the future, use the "quick removal" option.
    Just might save you from a big headache.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice