1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't forward from Outlook to Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eatyourbeets, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eatyourbeets

eatyourbeets Thread Starter

Help me help Mom!

Mom has a new Gmail account and wants to forward her email to Gmail. She has been using Outlook Express 6 and her server (is that the right term?) is sbcglobal. I changed her settings to resemble mine when I started having my email forwarded from Thunderbird (my server is an .edu server through a university), but emails sent to Mom's sbcglobal.net address aren't forwarding to Gmail.

Her settings in Outlook are:

INCOMING MAIL: Pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    OUTGOING MAIL: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Here are the settings I entered in Gmail (which work for my account):

Under FORWARDING and POP: I checked "Forward a copy of my incoming mail: [her sbcglobal address], and checked "Keep Gmail's copy in the In Box. I checked 1) "POP download ENABLED for all mail, and 2) "When messages are accessed with POP keep Gmial's copy in the In Box."

What am I doing wrong or not doing? Would hugely appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Can you clarify?

You first state "Mom has a new Gmail account and wants to forward her email to Gmail", so we assume that a copy of all mail sent to her sbcglobal address is also to go to Gmail?

Then you detail the settings you have made to Gmail, in order that Gmail will forward all mail incoming to sbcglobal, which is the opposite of what you have asked first.

Perhaps I have missed something, but it seems a bit circular...

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I agree with kiwiguy. The description of what you want to do seems to be opposite of what settings you said you made in Gmail.

Your settings description in Gmail would automatically keep a copy on Gmail and forward a copy to the SBC address. If you really want any messages sent to the SBC address to end up at the Gmail address you would need undo the Gmail settings and change the options settings on the SBC account. AFAIK, there is no setting in Gmail to allow Gmail to log into the SBC account and retrieve messages.

I have an sbcglobal.net e-mail address and am familiar with some of the options and features. Let me know if you need help setting up your mom's SBC account to forward to Gmail. You will need to be able to log into the SBC/Yahoo webmail interface at:

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.partner=sbc&.done=http://sbc.yahoo.com/

4. eatyourbeets

Thanks kiwiguy and Chuck, yes, I had everything arse-backwards.

Thanks for the link, Chuck--I was able to go into Mom's account and get her sbcglobal mail forwarded to Gmail. Problem now: in Gmail, after every message there's a message saying the forward to sbcglobal failed--just as you said, since I had the Gmail settings screwy, Gmail's trying to forward back & forth to sbcglobal I guess. So in Gmail settings, I checked "Disable forwarding." Now the messages aren't being forwarded to her Gmail account anymore at all. But if I check the only other option ("Forward a copy of incoming mail to: _________") what do I write in the blank? I had her old sbcglobal address in there initially, which created the initial problem; it won't let me write her Gmail address there. More help please! Many thanks.

5. eatyourbeets

Everything's A-OK now. Many thanks Chuck, couldn't have done it without you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice